What length hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Open water: 5' Primary (for donation), 2' Secondary (on necklace) Apeks regs, no swivel.

Interesting, well I am 5' 6'' tall diving in open water probably in south florida.

If you think about where the first stage is relative to your mouth in a correctly postioned tank there is not going to be a large difference in routing length for a regulator to sit comfortably in your mouth regardless of your other dimensions.

I am 5' 6'' tall diving in open water
Interesting...how tall are you in confined water? :wink:

If you are not ready to deviate from your training just yet, a 24" hose on your primary second stage will give you a cleaner profile than the stock size, which is probably about 30". A 40" octopus hose, routed under your right arm, will also be a lot neater than the usual configuration. If you later decide to experiment with a bungied secondary, you can use those same hoses, basically by sticking the octopus in your mouth and tethering what used to be your primary second stage around your neck (although you'd probably have to add a 90º fitting to make that work comfortably).

If you think about where the first stage is relative to your mouth in a correctly postioned tank there is not going to be a large difference in routing length for a regulator to sit comfortably in your mouth regardless of your other dimensions.

I'm not so sure about that statement.
If the hose goes around your neck, isn't it going to differ from a large man to a small woman. Or the chest size when the hose goes down under the arm and across the chest.

A 5' hose doesn't work well for me. I can not pull enough hose around so that I can look to the left.

Jim Breslin

I'm not big at 5'4", but I like my 7 ft primary and 24" bungied second. My buddy and I regularly share air (he's way bigger -- might as well extend his dive time on my extra air) and it's just very comfortable with the 7 footer. If I were in a situation where a stressed diver *needed* my primary, I'm convinced I'd like the maneuverability of the 7 ft there too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom