What Makes Divers a "DIR Diver"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have the book in front of me, and i can't find such a comment anywhere near
page 83 :wink:

H2Andy:
i have the book in front of me, and i can't find such a comment anywhere near
page 83 :wink:
There is something scary about that...Do you carry that book wherever you go? :wink:

JeffG:
There is something scary about that...Do you carry that book wherever you go? :wink:

well, seeing as how i am in my office at home :wink:

the book is on a shelf about three feet away.... along with my NOAA manual, and
a bunch of diving books :wink:

Yeah, I'm yanking your chain on page 83.

Seriously, that's my take on it. I don't understand your issue with that statement. What about it "doesn't ring true"?

dherbman:
Yeah, I'm yanking your chain on page 83.

Seriously, that's my take on it. I don't understand your issue with that statement. What about it "doesn't ring true"?
Because thats not what its about ("pursuit of perfection") If thats what you believe, then your understanding of DIR is flawed.

JeffG:
of JJ's book....Right?
Ah ... no ... page 83 is part of a discussion about why doubles regulators are configured the way they are ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have to weigh in and agree with Jeff here.

DIR can't simply be anything you perceive or want it to be. If you have some other understanding of the system or want to tout something different, that shouldn't be done under the moniker DIR. It should be called something else.

jonnythan:
I have to weigh in and agree with Jeff here.

DIR can't simply be anything you perceive or want it to be. If you have some other understanding of the system or want to tout something different, that shouldn't be done under the moniker DIR. It should be called something else.

Is that what he said?

As the dive world becomes more technical, does the DIR issue come down to branding? Like cheeseburgers, you have the PADI Big Mac, the NAUI Whopper, and the DIR Veggie Burger. They are all some form of burger, but still brand specific. So you wouldn't call a Big Mac a Veggie Burger, but you could call it a Royal with cheese?

Then you get some people who like to cook out and make their own burgers that resemble the store bought ones, some more closely than others...

So if you go to a picnic and someone offers you a home made Veggie Burger, is it a real DIR Veggie Burger? Does it have to be made from the same ingredients that the DIR restaurant chain uses, or can you substitute your own? What if they changed the recipe a bit, to "improve" it or adjust it for local tastes, is it still a DIR Veggie Burger?

I know this is a little off the wall, and I expect to be flame broiled over it. The issues are slightly more complicated than Ford vs Chevy, Pepsi vs Coke, etc., but isn't it essesntially the same issue- that of branding? Am I a PADI diver if I don't follow PADI's Code of Safe diving? If I totally disregard PADI's NDLs is it still the way the world learns to dive?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom