What model is this regulator??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brad V

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I’m brand new to diving. My first trip is in a little less than two weeks. A friend gave me an old regulator and doesn’t know what model it is. It’s a Scubapro with 2hp and 4lp ports and it swivels at the lp ports. I do t see a serial number anywhere. Is it worth refurbishing? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• D51E9F0B-9F18-44AF-8C86-D1D1BF0332FA.jpeg
    D51E9F0B-9F18-44AF-8C86-D1D1BF0332FA.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 206
Great regulator. Scubapro MK10. For a new diver there is nothing to be gained by spending a bunch on anything newer. It should more than meet your needs. Service and parts are widely available. And the price was right. What second stage is on it?

I agree MK-10. Perfectly good regulator and you will gain nothing by buying a newer "better" one assuming it has been recently or you have it serviced. Assuming the second stage(s) are in good shape (other than needing a rebuild) if a dealer that tries tell you it's worthless, old, unsafe or a poor performer, find a new shop, they are either ignorant or worse dishonest.
The biggest issue you may have is getting it serviced on short notice....y

Pistons are no longer produced but fortunately there are a lot out there and if not too badly damaged can be repaired. I know some of the "gurus" probably have news ones stashed away if you get in a jam.

Used one for almost 20 years, my 1st reg in fact, while diving the Atlantic, the Med, and while cave diving. Alas, had to replace it after a very very very bad annual service.

Used one for almost 20 years, my 1st reg in fact, while diving the Atlantic, the Med, and while cave diving. Alas, had to replace it after a very very very bad annual service.

I'm sure you're not alone. It takes a lot of care to remove the HP piston o-ring without scratching the journal it sits in. I suspect this is at least part of the reason that SP went to plastic bushings retaining that o-ring in later models.

From looking at just pics, the yoke handle looks more like an MK5. Either way I’m going to have the lds clean and service it. If they say it’s ‘good to go’ I’ll give it a try. It has an old SP Air 1second stage attached to it.

Back
Top Bottom