What now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CZAR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well I seem to be at the end of my metaphorical recreational rope. I am a divemaster and I do not want to be an instructor. I am also looking to learn more and do more. I am interested in technical diving but I don't really know where to start. Obviously I will need an entry level course of some kind with some cert agency (wow its like starting all over again). Suggestions on where to go from here would be much appreciated.

I just had a conversation with one of the instructors in my area about the same thing. Not the DM yet but I am interested in Advanced Nitrox and Deco procedures. He teaches TDI as well as PADI Tech and he suggested to do Tec-40 and Tec-45 as my next step.

Just food for thought.

Why did you get the divemaster cert in the first place? (I understand that people do the course for various reasons.)

Reading between the lines, it sounds like it would have been more appropriate to start your technical training earlier. Your next training step will depend on what type of technical diving you're interested in.

Well I did it for a few reasons:
1. To make some extra cash on the weekends with a LDS
2. Tech diving didn't really seem like an option to me because I thought of it as only for divers who do it for a living. ( I don't know if that is clear)
3. Had I known what I know now I would have most certainly went straight into tech

I really enjoy wrecks and caves, so if I can somehow incorporate both that would be great if not wreck is the direction I am going to go.

My first suggestion is to decide what you want to accomplish in the world of technical diving. Deep wrecks? Caves? Something else?

Next, research the various technical agencies to decide what they offer.

Now, find out what is in your area. Technical training plus equipment can be very, very expensive. My ability to transition was assisted by a number of conditions, including especially a local instructor who could loan me equipment while I slowly built up my own set. Another factor was nearby easy access to a pool in which i was able to practice skills. If you pick an agency/instructor that requires you to travel 1,000 miles every time you need a lesson, it will not be good.

Go to the Regional Travel and Clubs section of ScubaBoard for your area and ask about technical instruction in your area. That may well get you on the road.

I am contemplating a similar situation. I want to expand my diving for pleasure, and I enjoy teaching. I am going between tdi (I believe in the instructor) and Padi tech45 (thru my shop and doing it with other instructors at my shop). I think you should examine what your dive objectives would be as a tech diver and pick the training you think would best suit your environment, and consider who the instructor is, and who would be your classmates.

edited wrong agency s/b tdi not iantd

Okay thank you boulderjohn I will do that. Now Bubbletrubble is there a particular reason why you chose those suggestions in that order? (one being better/more appropriate than the others etc.). GUE is definately an option for me I am going to talk to one of my buddies later in the week about the tech course he is taking now. All I know is he is taking GUE Tech Diver Level 1. We live in about the same area so I am assuming the facility is nearby.

I really enjoy wrecks and caves, so if I can somehow incorporate both that would be great if not wreck is the direction I am going to go.

You'll find that to some extent the skills cross over from one to the other - the basic skills, at least, buoyancy, trim, fin kicks etc.

If you are into wrecks, not all wrecks are deep... so you may not need to "go tech". For example, we offer a non-technical Advanced Wreck Diver course (see http://www.techdivenz.com/overhead.html). When we got it approved by PADI, they mentioned that it wasn't the first. So if you hunt around you may find a similar course nearer you (but hey, if you fancy a trip we can do a course for you!).

Another option would be a course like GUE Fundamentals. I did Fundies a long time after qualifying as a "tech diver" and I still learnt heaps. It is without a doubt the second best course that I have ever done..... best was GUE Tech 1, mind you.

I recommend that you interview a couple of different instructors to find out what teaching techniques and philosophies they use in class and go from there. I personally would want to know from you, what your background is? Don't take offense, but just because you have a DM rating doesn't necessarily give background as far as other classes you have taken or the gear that you have experience in diving. Before people sign up for my Tec Class, they will do My Advanced Buoyancy Program that consists of a pool session and three dives a Dutch Springs. This program consists of Advanced finning techniques, Buoyancy & Trim, Air shares (long/short hose), redundant air system, SMB deployment with the most valuable part being Video Feedback. After each dive we will review film on TV and then build on that for the following dive.
Something like this will give you great feedback as to where you are truly at with your diving and if you are indeed ready to start Tec. I just had a guy (DM) this past weekend that was going to start tec and after taking this program has realized that he has to practice a little more before starting his Tec program.

Feel free to call me if you want to talk more in depth about this. I do all my training upon request.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom