What Open-Heel Fin should I Get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

52brandon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
In my continuing quest to build my gear set... I'm looking at fins now. I've been reading a bunch of reviews and comparisons. It seems the Apollo Sports Bio-Fin Pro C-Series is the unanimous winner in them. What say you all here? Is it that simple here? I haven't found anything so simple. Should I just call off the search and get these? Any differing opinions? Any and all input is greatly appreciated

In my continuing quest to build my gear set... I'm looking at fins now. I've been reading a bunch of reviews and comparisons. It seems the Apollo Sports Bio-Fin Pro C-Series is the unanimous winner in them. What say you all here? Is it that simple here? I haven't found anything so simple. Should I just call off the search and get these? Any differing opinions? Any and all input is greatly appreciated

Well, you have not been doing that research here because I am pretty sure any sort of split fin on scubaboard is lacking for a fan club. If I was going to get heavy rubber fins there is only one, the Scubapro Jet Fin. Top of the heap since circa 1961.

PA030589_zpsd146089f.jpg

N

There is no unanimous winner or best fin (and depending where you're reading realize there may be some advertising influenced bias involved.) If you read some of the zillion threads on fins here, you might believe jetfins are the best, but that's not the case either (though a bunch of people will be probably be along soon to tell you they are. :wink: It really depends on your preferences and needs.

As far as the biofins, they will have their fans like pretty much any fin. Not something I personally would get, because I'm not interested in split fins, and wouldn't choose such heavy fins for travel. (I'm a fan of simple inexpensive plastic paddle fins.)

I had the Pro XT version in the C-Series Apollo Bio-Fins, and can attest to them being excellent performers; very fast with a great spring strap. On the down side, they are very expensive and heavy. The XT version is a little too stiff for my taste, and the regular version is too floppy. I have read good things about the new Atomic Aquatics Blade Fin as well as the Scubapro Seawing Nova, but have never tried either of them.

Personally, I have never been much of a fan of open heel fins, and generally prefer paddle fins over splits. My all-time favorite fin (period) is the Mares Avanti Quattro Power Full-Foot. They are super comfortable, effortlessly fast and powerful without being stiff or fatiguing, and very durable. They work great for all types of kicks, and provide precise control. The cons are that they are pretty big fins, pricey, and obviously not suitable if you require exposure protection on your feet.

ScubaLab Fin Review | Best Fin Test | Dive Gear | Atomic Aquatics BLADE FIN | Scuba Diving

SCUBAPRO - Fins

Avanti Quattro Power - Full Foot - Mares

Last edited:
I got the v12 splitfins there close to the original Apollo bios

there negative buoyant pretty heavy non slip rubber texture and due to a miscommunication underwater on a navigation dive
I know i can outrun a pair of dm's for about 50yards and I'm not that in shape lol

Well, you have not been doing that research here because I am pretty sure any sort of split fin on scuba board is lacking for fan club. If I was going to get heavy rubber fins there is only one, the Scubapro Jet Fin. Top of the heap since circa 1961.

N
it was just a google search. I figured it was easier on me to do a quick search everywhere else and simply ask here so that I could ask further questions here on the opinions.

after a quick search: Gear / Accessories | Scuba Diving
it puts the Bio Fin WELL above the Jet Fin. Why do you prefer them so much? The Bio Fin is supposedly much faster

Disclaimer: I mean no disrespect with my questions if they come across that way. I'm just seriously interested in the ups and downs of all of them and what would suit me best. I really like the idea of the Aqualung Slingshots as well. I'm pretty open to anything. Not just looking for a smaller heavy rubber fins. I want the best fin. Period. If it's a split, small, large, crazy gadgetry, super simple, whatever.

Just say "NO" to split fins.

it was just a google search. I figured it was easier on me to do a quick search everywhere else and simply ask here so that I could ask further questions here on the opinions.

after a quick search: Gear / Accessories | Scuba Diving
it puts the Bio Fin WELL above the Jet Fin. Why do you prefer them so much? The Bio Fin is supposedly much faster

Disclaimer: I mean no disrespect with my questions if they come across that way. I'm just seriously interested in the ups and downs of all of them and what would suit me best. I really like the idea of the Aqualung Slingshots as well. I'm pretty open to anything. Not just looking for a smaller heavy rubber fins. I want the best fin. Period. If it's a split, small, large, crazy gadgetry, super simple, whatever.

They are a different animal. Why is speed important to you? Personally I like to go slow, I'm not in a hurry. I generally dive to relax. I prefer precision over speed. YMMV.

---------- Post added December 11th, 2013 at 12:47 AM ----------

There is no "best" fin just like there is no "best" shoe. Horses for courses.

I need speed for ....for...well for reasons lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom