What prevails about choosing a diving center?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

• Ask them
    • Just like you ask them to do it on other sites.
    • It's just not that hard
  • Post their pic here
    • Take a group picture of everyone on the boat as they are leaving
    • Start a thread entitled something like "Friends of Cypress Diving"
    • Post their pic (and any subsequent pics) in that thread
    • Send them a link to their pic and ask them to share their pics and happy moments
      • Right click on the post number and copy the URL
      • Send it to the email you've already collected from them
    • Post other UW pics if you have them
    • Post other topside pics
      • Bonus points for drone and video footage
      • Super easy to embed videos from YouTube.
  • Run picture contests for them here
    • Use a hat or tshirt as a prize
  • Go to Signature and create a signature.
    • Web URL
    • Your name
    • Phone number
    • Corporate email
  • I'll add you to the "Resort" user group so you can see the business side to ScubaBoard.
Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or concerns.
A great cheat sheet for success. We will start using it from the new season.

The problem is that it's difficult to enforce reviews on the internet. People are happy and are not willing to share their opinion.
I like to see prices for dives, is it a one or two tank dive? I see that you mention creating dive packages, but maybe list a rough price for a two dive package, 4 dive package, etc.

If you rent gear, list prices for individual pieces of gear and if you have a “full gear” rental package list that price.
We can make. Thank you for the tips.

Speaking generally, not specific to your location.

1.) Good reviews - if I see 2 or 3 forum favorites on Scuba Board, I'm probably not going to book with somebody I never heard of.

2.) Very informative website; I'm an introvert and should be able to learn most everything I need to know without calling you. There should be a fluent English page letting me know being English-only won't be a problem on my trip. I need to know what dive trips you offer and what it'll cost, and whether the dives are guided.

3.) E-mail responsiveness is key. Strong friendliness, sincere helpfulness and fast response time go a long way.

4.) Tell me you have tanks larger than 80-cf.

5.) Your website should list different accommodations for different price points, tell me how far from you they are, and how I'm to get around back and forth. Where can I eat near there?

6.) An info. page for topside needs is good; not just excursions, but electrical plug requirements, what side of the road they drive on and is traffic bad, what's the currency and are U.S. credit cards widely accepted. Telling me it's a safe place scores points. Tres Pelicanos in Cozumel gave me detailed instructions for navigating the airport when I arrived; very nice!

7.) In a nutshell, make it easy for me. I should have a good idea how my trip should work out in duration, travel times, place to stay, number of dives offered, how to get around, what I need (e.g.: special permits) and what this is all going to cost...before I start shooting e-mails bombarding you with detailed questions at all times of the day.

And don't forget to explain why I'd want to come dive there. Out of all the places I could go in the world, why there? Are you mostly marketing to locals or distant foreign travelers? People making dedicated dive trips, or people in the area for other reasons (e.g.: vacation) and doing some diving as a supplement to topside fun?

A nice looking website that's still easy reading is nice. Make it clean, not too complex.

If you know any divers who aren't familiar with your operation, have them go through a mock process of researching Cyprus as a destination, looking for reviews, looking at your site and competitors, and trying to plan a trip...all without contacting you. Wherever they come up short (e.g.: unanswered questions, still don't know why anybody would pick Cyprus), that's what you have to work on.
Accommodation in the area is a thought.
Same here, I like to know if they have RIBs or hard boats and how they get to site.
Of course, we will try to put this information.

Thank you for your time. We will try to thank you in the forum for a new post in the life of diving

Hi CyprusDiving,

Thanks for starting this thread.

Cathy and I like this type of diving:
  1. Intermediate to advanced recreational dive sites (no tech sites, per se);
  2. dives of 50 to 70 minutes;
  3. we like seeing wildlife and geological features;
  4. we like the option of diving with a DM, or not;
  5. we are OK with drift dives;
  6. but, we prefer one-way diving or buoy to buoy diving.
  7. we like walls or other unique geological features; and,
  8. we like open ocean dives on pinnacles, reefs, or seamounts.

Here is my checklist for vetting a dive-op:
  1. Honorable mentions on Scubaboard, or positive responses from Scubaboard members if I start a thread;
  2. a good website that has this information:
    1. biographies of principles and key employees;
    2. descriptions of their boats
    3. a list of dive sites visited that includes skill level required (beginner, intermediate, or advanced);
    4. a contact person for inquiries who responds in a timely manner;
    5. does the dive-op offer nitrox;
    6. prices;
    7. a description of your niche or specialty;
    8. do you offer, or have connections for accommodations and car rentals;
  3. negotiations:
    1. will you agree in advance to take divers to certain sites, weather permitting;
    2. will you abide by that agreement even though newbs join a dive trip;
    3. if given a list of 20 prime dive sites, will you agree to take us to at least 10 or 15 of those sites regardless of any other dynamic situation (beginner divers, or weather, cost of fuel, too few divers onboard, or something else)
    4. will your crew allow us to Dive and let dive! Join the revolution!!! Or, do they require conformity for every little detail.
      1. Do they ask these questions: A) Hey all, this is your vacation, how are we diving today? Slow, fast, u/w swim race, snails pace, deep, shallow, and etc. B) Hey all, should we set-up your gear or do you like to set-up your own kit?
    5. Does your location have contingency plans for windy weather--can you dive the leeward side of your location either by boat or shore dive.
I feel I have been burned by more than a few dive-ops who seemed to negotiate in good faith over the internet and then send us to newb sites, and/or the same sites repeatedly over the course of the week. And usually for the stated reason that a newb joined our group and the dive-op is only interested in the safety of the least experienced amongst us.

The correct answer for that situation is: We have assigned a DM to dive with the newb, so that the rest of you can experience a few of our advanced or intermediate dive sites today.

Also, I do read testimonials from people who have used your service before. I realize that some people are hard to please and they write nasty critiques. It is OK to politely defend your dive-op in those situations.

Not all situations are favorable to all divers, explaining your mitigation plan in a polite way is helpful. I am quite willing to compromise to meet the needs of the group when there are divergent interests.

thanks,
markm

The problem is that it's difficult to enforce reviews on the internet.
Never try to enforce reviews. We don't/won't believe an overly positive review. Mistakes will be made and we want to see how you handle them. In fact, when we see dive ops change things because of feedback, we're more apt to book there. Dive ops who believe they can do no wrong are usually blame shifters. It's not that they don't have problems, it's that they blame the divers and never take ownership of the problems. Nothing says "we want your business" like a "we're sorry for that and here's how we're going to fix it..." post after a problem is cited. There are very few cyber extortionists out there and we know how to spot and deal with them.
People are happy and are not willing to share their opinion.
You do have to bribe them to post at times. Hats, t-shirts, discounts and all sorts of thing can be used to get your divers to post. Just make the caveat that you want them to be honest when you do. Also, and I mentioned this earlier, contests are great ways to get reviews. Run a weekly "best pic" contest right here on SB. Tell them you won't consider the pic unless it's in your thread about the contest. You'll find that they'll talk about you while they're posting their pics. I also mentioned posting a pic of them on the boat as they head out. Send them the link and watch them post about it! Finally, if you don't ask them, they'll hardly ever post. Ask them like you're asking them to do a favor to you. If you've gone out of your way for them, then they're likely to go out of their way for you. Please don't just give up on this before you even get started. :D

On the website, I like to see a link the OP's location on Google maps.

What i look for in a dive op first is their location as to where we are staying, especially when with my wife who is a non diver. I like to do morning dives as wife does not mind being be herself in the mornings, but i do not want to be gone much past noon. I do not want to spend a lot of time traveling back and forth if i don't have to.

Our next trip coming up is to Grand Cayman, staying on seven mile beach. So finding a dive op close was not a problem as there are several, most will pick you up, and their boats are docked pretty close.

I then asked for recommendations here and check reviews from trip adviser ect... I like diving with smaller ops who do not take a huge number of divers out at once. I try to find out from reviews how the crew treated the divers and how they catered to them. I check web sites and like to see some pictures of the crew, boats, and some misc dive site pics. I check for all the prices and extras for nitrox but that is pretty much not an issue...pretty much all the same...

Once i found a shop a was considering i emailed them telling them my plans and asking some questions. I was impressed with how fast they responded and their response was very thorough answering all questions and much more. I decided right away to go with them! And another thing i like is that they do not require a deposit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom