What reel to tow a dive flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squeeze handle works for me, we often search for old bottles so it is nice to let go and just have the reel hang there, I have also been know to attach my bottle bag to it as well......

M

I have a squeeze handle reel, which was found underwater. I look similar to the manta reels. It works well. If you dive a lot around wrecks, the cheap nylon line they use gets cut easily. I have replaced the line with dynema kit-surfing line that has maybe 600 lb test and is very tough to cut.
Q Powerline (q line) - 500ft spool (600lb) Q Powerline kiteboarding control line [qline] - $139.00 : Green Hat Kiteboarding, Kiteboarding / Kitesurfing Lessons and Equipment - NJ, NY, PA

Thanks for the lead on the line, sounds interesting. -that may keep me from getting my flag stuck on some obstruction... :wink:

There are cheaper places to get the line I think. There are also better options than a typical dive flag. A dive flag has more drag than necessary and generally they have such low bouyancy that if you try to tow it in a moderate current in 80 or 100 feet, it will just get sucked under.

The stronger the current, the more scope you need on the float.

This float costs considerably more than a typical floating dive flag, but it is much more streamlined and is pretty easy to pull when you have enough scope. It has enough bouyancy to remain on the surface 3 + kt currents.

If you use the lead counter weight, the flag will remain upright in pretty much any conditions. Since it is really a life guard rescue "can", it might even come in handy if you or your buddy should desire something to support themselves on the surface in an emergency

MAKO Hawaiian Hard Float

mhhfr_exp.jpg

Attachments

• mhhfr_exp.jpg
    mhhfr_exp.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 459
Tyler,

Why do you want to drag a flag around in the first place? One option is to navigate back to the beach or boat and get out there. Sometimes when it is absolutely essential to get back to the starting point running a line from the bottom near the anchor is an option. I have a Halcyon reel for that. But that is not needed very often.

Tyler,

Why do you want to drag a flag around in the first place? One option is to navigate back to the beach or boat and get out there. Sometimes when it is absolutely essential to get back to the starting point running a line from the bottom near the anchor is an option. I have a Halcyon reel for that. But that is not needed very often.
For one, I am diving in a busy jetties so there tons of boats and jet skiers going through. Not to mention the numerous fisherman on the rocks fishing. The jetties are probably 300-400 yards long so leaving my dive flag at the entrance is not an option. For other dive spots, running a line down near the anchor would be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom