What regs do you use for tech diving and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod,

I am now using two Mares Proton Metal second stages, and they are the real deal. They are ultra simple, and have outstanding breathing effort.

Greg Barlow

Yeah, but I am on a Mares boycott. Besides, since I dive the Phoenix RAM 90% of the time and it uses a Titan first stage for all purposes this move to the AL Titans for me is a inventory streamlining move. Recently I have been divesting myself of much of my junk. Not all of it mind you but numerous people on this very forum have requested various parts for Tekna and other stuff which I have sent out free and on my dollar. I simply have to many types of regulators and equipment to keep up and running with very little parts commonality. The Voits are simple enough but jumping into new Mares rigs when I hardly can get parts for the Mares sets I have a few years old makes no sense. The move to the Titans does because parts are everywhere and I have enough contacts to get them over or under the counter if need be.

Merry Christmas and a great new year from the plains.

DSCF0119.jpg

Ah but for the good old days:

Lead_Front_5.jpg

N

The Voits are simple enough but jumping into new Mares rigs when I hardly can get parts for the Mares sets I have a few years old makes no sense. N

Nemrod, as you probably know, I serviced Mares regs for a number of years. Mares has never let me down on parts. In fact, I was recently able to obtain parts for regs that are more than 20 years old.

One great thing about Mares regs is that the same second stage poppet seat fits every reg that they currently manufacture. In fact, many of the same parts used in typical service fit a majority of regs made since the MR12 III. In my portable parts/tool kit I carry a rebuild kit for the Mares Akros second stage. It contains every part needed to fully rebuild any Mares second stage reg built in the past decade with the exception of the Proton series. I also carry one Proton kit, as it serves all Proton versions.

There has been more than one diver that had their day of diving saved by me flipping over a second stage poppet seat. This job takes all of maybe three minutes, and cures the most common problem found in a malfunctioning reg. Try that simple fix with a balanced second stage.

I own, or have owned a number of balanced second stages. I personally prefer the unbalanced versions due to their rugged dependability. A vast majority of today's unbalanced second stage regs easily meet USN Class "A" standards when paired with a balanced first stage. When used with appropriate gas mixes, a reg of that level will meet any need.

Greg Barlow

Nemrod, as you probably know, I serviced Mares regs for a number of years. Mares has never let me down on parts. In fact, I was recently able to obtain parts for regs that are more than 20 years old.

One great thing about Mares regs is that the same second stage poppet seat fits every reg that they currently manufacture. In fact, many of the same parts used in typical service fit a majority of regs made since the MR12 III. In my portable parts/tool kit I carry a rebuild kit for the Mares Akros second stage. It contains every part needed to fully rebuild any Mares second stage reg built in the past decade with the exception of the Proton series. I also carry one Proton kit, as it serves all Proton versions.

There has been more than one diver that had their day of diving saved by me flipping over a second stage poppet seat. This job takes all of maybe three minutes, and cures the most common problem found in a malfunctioning reg. Try that simple fix with a balanced second stage.

I own, or have owned a number of balanced second stages. I personally prefer the unbalanced versions due to their rugged dependability. A vast majority of today's unbalanced second stage regs easily meet USN Class "A" standards when paired with a balanced first stage. When used with appropriate gas mixes, a reg of that level will meet any need.

Greg Barlow

Thanks for the info, I am more interested in keeping my last sets of Voits ticking. The logistics of streamlining my inventory down to PRAM/RAM/Titan makes sense to me because of the parts commonality and availability. I cannot depend on you being handy to flip me a rebuild kit as nice as that would be :wink:.

Not very good pics but I think you might recognize these. These are my last complete Voit MR sets that function. I have one other I sometimes use on deco bottles etc but it is pretty rough looking though entirely functional thanks to being drug through every cave I could locate in the 70s

DSCF0059.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg

N

My local LDS has a good deal on new MK16 / G250, so one step back in technology from the MK17/G250HP. Anybody has experience on comments on using these units for backgas?
The lineage was G250 (in various cosemtic forms), G250HP, and now G250V (the old G250 with a cosmetic update).

Of these the G250HP is the "newest" design but is the least desireable with it's plastic air barrel, however it is still a great reg. The Mk 16 was sold with the G250HP.

SP discontinued the Mk 16 when they introduced the Mk 17, but still has some Mk 16's available. the advantagfe is that SP dealers can sell them with currently produced second stages at closeout prices with no price restrictions.

The Mk 16 is not sealed and in that regard is more simialr to the current Mk 11. Mechanically it shares a lot with the Mk 17/Mk 11, but lacks a second HP port and uses a different seat alignment system. It is however still an excellent first stage that offers performance comparable to the Mk 17.

I'd like to know what regulators you use for doubles/tech diving and why? What other regs did you look at before choosing?
Selection may be influenced by your locale, and LDS alignment. I use Apeks ATX200s for cold and deep, and love them - reliable, easy breathing, hose routing is all down (which does create some angular tension on the hoses, though). I also use them because we carry Apeks, not SP. My buddy dives SP because he started with the 'other' shop in town and they carry SP but not Apeks.
Jimmer:
I chose Zeagles to use when I take my Advanced Nitrox/Deco procedures next year. Around here the Zeagles are very highly regarded for the cold water we dive.
Which Zeagle(s) do you use / prefer? Curious if anyone has doubled up ZX-50s for tec. Many mention flatheads, few mention the 50s.

Apeks XTX 200's for back gas and DS4/TX 50's for stages and deco bottles. I prefer the Apeks due to the reasonable pricing and ease of maintenence (IF it's ever needed). I see alot of guys posting about owning several different brands of regs. I understand that a lot of people buy things at different times and get what they can, but it makes the most sense to me to buy the same brand (and the best quality level you can afford) for all of your regs to facilitate maintenance and parts inventory. Any of my regs can be switched out for any application. I keep hearing about some of the Apeks regs not routing as nicely as others (probably because they dont have a port on the bottom like a SP or Atomics). I've been using Apeks for 5 years and I still don't see any problems with routing. YMMV.

Curious if anyone has doubled up ZX-50s for tec. Many mention flatheads, few mention the 50s.

Before getting some DS4's I was using the DST(Apeks) version of the ZX50's. While doable, the turret routes the inflator hose less kindly than the DS4's or Zeagles DS-V's. Usabel? Yes. Ideal? No. If turreted regs are all you have, they're functional. But, if buying new go with the DSV's or DS4's.

All,

Thanks for all the posts guys. Some great information and it will go a long way to helping me pick my doubles reg setup.

Grey_Wulff

Which Zeagle(s) do you use / prefer? Curious if anyone has doubled up ZX-50s for tec. Many mention flatheads, few mention the 50s.

I use Flathead's on my backgas (christmas present to myself), and DSV for stage/deco bottle. I've never tried the ones with the swivels personally, but I'm told they are a bit of a pain for hose routing on backgas, but one guy I know, swears by it for sling tanks.

Before getting some DS4's I was using the DST(Apeks) version of the ZX50's. While doable, the turret routes the inflator hose less kindly than the DS4's or Zeagles DS-V's. Usabel? Yes. Ideal? No. If turreted regs are all you have, they're functional. But, if buying new go with the DSV's or DS4's.

Most of us use Apeks DS4 up here, combined with ATX/XTX50. Cheap and reliable. All of us have steel doubles. I haven't even seen alu doubles here, but from what I've heard there might be some issues with hose routing due to the neck of some alu tanks. Am I right, anyone? Anyways, the best hose routing I see on doubles are either Apeks FST, Apeks Tek 3 or Scubapro MK25.

Functionwise I hardly see any arguments pro/con choosing any of these. They're all great for us, and we all dive cold water diving.

Hope I didn't just repeat something already written in this thread. Didn't read through it all...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom