What Regulator is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is a Zephyr.....disappeared as soon as it appeared when the 1985 NEDU tests couldn't test its performance characteristics and give it a rating (Class A,B, C etc) , most people assumed (rightly or wrongly) that it was not a useable reg and no one bought one..

I think it is a Zephyr.....disappeared as soon as it appeared when the 1985 NEDU tests couldn't test its performance characteristics and give it a rating (Class A,B, C etc) , most people assumed (rightly or wrongly) that it was not a useable reg and no one bought one..
If it is indeed a Zephyr then there must not be to many of them because I can find no trace of it on Google.

This is all I could find on the Zephyr regulator, from the description it sounds like that is the one. There seems to be no photos of the model. Why did they choose to route the hose connector right up against the mouth piece? I have not seen any other regulators that have done that (that close to the mouth piece)

In 1978 Watergill became Seapro and continued to market both regulators (and the AtPac). Sometime in the mid 80's Seapro come out with the Zypher 2nd stage (should have been a Submarex) showerhead type regulator.

Thank you all for the help

Last edited:
I don't think it is the Zephyr/Submarex. I can't find any idea of what it is though. All the ones I've found, from the Submarex/Zephyr to the Cyklon all have the hose come in straight in the bottom of the tube, not angled into the side. I can't find anything like that and I searched for a while

I don't think it is the Zephyr/Submarex. I can't find any idea of what it is though. All the ones I've found, from the Submarex/Zephyr to the Cyklon all have the hose come in straight in the bottom of the tube, not angled into the side. I can't find anything like that and I searched for a while
I'm pretty sure that it is a Zephyr...I only saw 3 of them come across my service bench as they weren't around for very long. The NEDU test was used as an advertising tool by some manufacturers in the late 80's to push their regs., so I got a copy of the test results. The regs. tested were rated Class A through E, and the Zephyr was listed as "not rated" because its breathing characteristics could not be assessed by the test equipment...which was why it stuck in my memory.

Confirmed- Seapro Zephyr. See the latest post on this subject on the vintage scuba forum. It shows a 1982 magazine article about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom