What`s the best quality of life, $,and diving in SE asia ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

415Gem:
Morty Thanks for the reply. I thought of flying to Cebu and starting from there. Many folks I know are real leery about Phillipines. I am not so afraid but still don`t want any trouble. I understand the south of the Phillipines are the most pirate/ unstable area. Any must see spots? Have a great day, Kevin.

I went there in March this year and I wouldn't be concerned at all. In fact, it's great having less tourists around there. Sure, there're some hairy areas in the south but steer clear of the hot spots and I can't see a problem. Flying into Cebu would be fantastic before heading west to Coron and Palawan. I stayed in a really nice place on Pandan island which was great for diving and for chilling. They can organise trips to the Coron wrecks and Apo reef too. http://www.pandan.com/index.html

Note to readers: Similar threads merged, thus the slight overlap of information.

Not sure what your priorties are, the diving, the $, quality of dive operators/accomodatios, or a combination of the above! The best diving sites in Indonesia are Irian Jaya ($$$$), Wakatobi ($$$). Alor ($$$$), Komodo ($$-$$$), Manado/Lembeh ($$-$$$). You'll find good diving off Bali, incluiding Nusa Lembongan, Tulamben, Candi Dasa, etc., all are relatively inexpensive, have good dive operators and accomodations! The Philippines have some very good sites as well. They are easy to access from Cebu (big catamaran ferries), the living is really easy and the people friendly! They include Alona Beach, Apo Island, Dumuette, Malapascua, southern Leyte, etc.! I've been diving in the area the last 2 winters and have combines some of the best, more expensive diving with the more economical sites! It all depends what your priorities really are!

If you want to try some place different in Indonesia then how about:

Manado
Pulau Weh
Pulau Selayar
Togian Islands

Best diving - Similan Islands
Best quality of life - Koh Tao

That's just my opinion though about thailand, I havent dived outside of thailand in the rest of Asia. If you go thailand way, I'd personally avoid Pattaya (I think it's a sleaze pit!).

Im back myself tha way in a few months time and hope to get the best of both the west and east coasts.

Hey people, those are some really good tips, can anyone offer me more information as to conditions presently? I will be heading out to Taipei in a week and then a couple of days later starting my trip from there to any of the following: Cebu, Bali, Manado, or Manila. I'm still trying to figure out what the best route is, I have a month. I was thinking of doing a triangle, like Taipei to Cebu, then Manila to Bali and Bali back to Taipei in the end, making some shorter hops to Manado and such. Are there any of these locations you think I should avoid due to bad weather or vis? Is there anything you think could fit into these plans that I haven't realized? Should I book ahead or just wing it when I arrive?

Hi There
I think Morty has it right. Phils is highly underrated diving and you can live there for a long time for a little money. Anyplace south of Manila(unless you like wrecks in Subic) and north of Mindanao(unless you want to get kidnapped) is a must see. The troubles you hear about are there. Most of the dive areas are small enough that the locals know everyone who should be there and tend to be self-policing and they will ferret out trouble-makers. Hugely pleasant place in general and very good diving too. Better than Thailand by far unless you do a liveaboard from Phuket and cheaper too. Enjoy
Bob

bmag:
Hi There
I think Morty has it right. Phils is highly underrated diving and you can live there for a long time for a little money. Anyplace south of Manila(unless you like wrecks in Subic) and north of Mindanao(unless you want to get kidnapped) is a must see. The troubles you hear about are there. Most of the dive areas are small enough that the locals know everyone who should be there and tend to be self-policing and they will ferret out trouble-makers. Hugely pleasant place in general and very good diving too. Better than Thailand by far unless you do a liveaboard from Phuket and cheaper too. Enjoy
Bob
Thanks Bob... I appreciate all the info I get from folks. I plan to go to to Se asia and Indonesia for 45 days. Have a great summer Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom