What`s the best quality of life, $,and diving in SE asia ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidlkh:
If you want to try some place different in Indonesia then how about:

Manado
Pulau Weh
Pulau Selayar
Togian Islands
I had 2 of 4 on the list. Thanks for the answer. I will be in Indonesia and SE Asia in Aug and Sept 04 Kevin

Hi, Try to go diving in Bunaken Island-Manado,the best island for diving. You can find many best spot area for diving.just visit www.twofishdivers.com.You've got many info about diving there.

IKA

The philippines is very nice diving around Tubattaha (liveaboard), Anilao and Bohol/Dumaguette area and Apo. There is also a lot of bombing damage around. PI is really just that it is not as exotic as say Thailand or Bali. But it has a wonderful culture and the rice terraces are more beautiful than Bali. And the best of all, almost everyone speaks english well, which is a boon to tourists.

IKA, have you gone diving with Two fish divers? They have the best prices on Bunaken, but no one can tell me if thier operation is good. Please let me know if you have stayed with them.

shooter, are you saying that the Visayas are bombed? Please tell me which areas to avoid that are heavily damaged!

415Gem:
Morty Thanks for the reply. I thought of flying to Cebu and starting from there. Many folks I know are real leery about Phillipines. I am not so afraid but still don`t want any trouble. I understand the south of the Phillipines are the most pirate/ unstable area. Any must see spots? Have a great day, Kevin.

I lived in Iloilo, Phlippines for 10 years. Traveled thoughout most of the country. The only place to be really wary is Mindanao, in the south. Boracay, off the northwest tip of Panay is a great place. I lived there for a year. It's the "Paradise" desktop picture in Windows 2000. Some great dive spots too. You'll love Yapak 2. In 1999 dives were still only US$14 to $18. Bamboo and nipa roof bungalos could be rented for $25 per night. If you pass by Aquarius, or Fisheye Divers, tell Mi Young, Peter, Andi, and Carlos that Hank in Belize says hi. Hank

Hank49:
I lived in Iloilo, Phlippines for 10 years. Traveled thoughout most of the country. The only place to be really wary is Mindanao, in the south. Boracay, off the northwest tip of Panay is a great place. I lived there for a year. It's the "Paradise" desktop picture in Windows 2000. Some great dive spots too. You'll love Yapak 2. In 1999 dives were still only US$14 to $18. Bamboo and nipa roof bungalos could be rented for $25 per night. If you pass by Aquarius, or Fisheye Divers, tell Mi Young, Peter, Andi, and Carlos that Hank in Belize says hi. Hank
Thanks for the Phillipines info. Hank when I go I will say hi. Where in Belize do you live ? I want to go to Placencia and Dandrega. I was in Key Caulker and that was fun, but I imagine that the South is much better. Always thiking about that next trip. Kevin PS I see that you live in Placencia lucky you !!!

travelem:
Fly to Cebu and dive around the Visayas area. Dive around Malapascua, Apo Island, Dumagette, Bohol and Moalboal...
http://www.starfish.ch/dive/Visayas.html
I just got back from a 3 week trip to Apo (Liberty Lodge and Paul's diving) and Malapascua (Wobbly Boot Resort-$16 per night incl. breakfast for fan room and Bubble07 dive shop - they have a web site). No problems, less hassling from taxi and tuk-tuk drivers as a big white guy compared to Thailand. If you e-mail places that you are going to in advance you can get discounts maybe from $20 per dive with own equipment down to $17-18. Apo is the best for undamaged corals and teaming fishes but I still love Malapascua for Gato Island where you can find anything from oodles of nudibranch, cuddle fish, reef shark and manta shrimp. Malapascua also has mandarin fish that you can spot on the Lighthouse dive site for a dusk-night dive. There are damaged corals at some dive sites but not enough to spoil it. You also can get a chance at diving for thresher shark in the morning.

Stay at the Kiwi Lodge in Cebu - a lot of expats stay there and you can get good info from fellow travelers and staying longer term in the Philippines.

I took along my digital camera and wp housing and looking at my photos I can't wait to get back.

Jason

jbb:
I just got back from a 3 week trip to Apo (Liberty Lodge and Paul's diving) and Malapascua (Wobbly Boot Resort-$16 per night incl. breakfast for fan room and Bubble07 dive shop - they have a web site). No problems, less hassling from taxi and tuk-tuk drivers as a big white guy compared to Thailand. If you e-mail places that you are going to in advance you can get discounts maybe from $20 per dive with own equipment down to $17-18. Apo is the best for undamaged corals and teaming fishes but I still love Malapascua for Gato Island where you can find anything from oodles of nudibranch, cuddle fish, reef shark and manta shrimp. Malapascua also has mandarin fish that you can spot on the Lighthouse dive site for a dusk-night dive. There are damaged corals at some dive sites but not enough to spoil it. You also can get a chance at diving for thresher shark in the morning.

Stay at the Kiwi Lodge in Cebu - a lot of expats stay there and you can get good info from fellow travelers and staying longer term in the Philippines.

I took along my digital camera and wp housing and looking at my photos I can't wait to get back.

Jason
Jason ... Thanks for the message. I love SB!!! I am gonna go on a trip soon. Was the weather good when you went there? Is there a best time of year to be in the Phillipines? Your tips are the stuff I live for. I have lots of friends go to Fiji or Manado and stay in $200 a night places, + everything . I know you can have a more real experience ( and a damn nice one ) for 25% of that $200 + . Having an awesome time . Fish dinners, beers...ahhh... Trying to get the most out of that hard earned dollar is mandatory. Cheers to you for your post. Kevin

415Gem:
Jason ... Thanks for the message. I love SB!!! I am gonna go on a trip soon. Was the weather good when you went there? Is there a best time of year to be in the Phillipines? Your tips are the stuff I live for. I have lots of friends go to Fiji or Manado and stay in $200 a night places, + everything . I know you can have a more real experience ( and a damn nice one ) for 25% of that $200 + . Having an awesome time . Fish dinners, beers...ahhh... Trying to get the most out of that hard earned dollar is mandatory. Cheers to you for your post. Kevin

Kevin,

Right now the rain\typhoon season is starting in the Philippines, it started a little early this year. It even affected my trip last month. March through May is usually the calm time of year to go when to can visit Tabutaha reef and Apo reef (diff. location than Apo island) aboard a charter live aboard (about $1000 for 5 days?) I usually go in november about thanksgiving time in the states to use the holidays and another advantage is that it's just on the cusp of the high season usually still low rates for lodging. December through April is the busy time of year and a lot of filipinos observe Holy week. There are a lot of festivals after Easter as well which makes lodging and travel expensive and difficult.

Both Liberty Lodge and Bubbles07 have web sites you should read on how to get to each location. I dived in Malapascua for the second time and am planning a third trip this November and I may try Bohol to see what it is like.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom