What sets off your alarm bells?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I often carry a camera along with me. When going down to the anchor, and sometimes when looking around it is clipped off to the side (opposite side from reel and pony). I used to trust the band and clip that came with the camera. Then one day, around dive 200, while bouncing next to the hang bar in 4 ft seas during my safety stop I went to ascend and the camera was gone. It should be about to Africa by now since it was slightly buoyant. After spending $1,000 for another camera, I discarded its strap and replaced it with a heavy duty retractor. Now it is always firmly attached to me. When shooting pictures it is in extended mode. When traveling it is clipped in short mode at my side where it stays out of my way.

You can laugh all you want but the new camera is still with me after another 100 plus dives.

I'll be diving off the NC coast a bunch this summer. If my camera is lost so am I.

Serious diving help always welcome. :cool2:

I hear you! First thing I lost was the flash diffuser in a current on the surface. After that, diffuser on a thin strong cord attached to the main clips. Another dive lost some loc-line and a clip in a current on a wreck. Also lost my video light on a dive in rougher seas where I was banged against the ladder before I could hand the unit up. (Buddy found the light on the next dive). That resulted in a length of bungee cord from the video light to the main housing tray (homemade, chunk of SS bar bent for hand grip).By then I also added a thick bungee and clip from SS tray - I clip it to my harness and have another double-ender to clip the camera off if I want.

Now my camera is almost more bungees and safety straps than camera, but I've not lost any part since.

There are a lot of good posts in this thread…in the same breath…I can’t believe some of the egos of “experienced” divers that are posting in these threads.

Size of Knives…Innovative/New Gear…Speaking of experiences? (As experienced divers are doing here)! Pardon me...I almost forgot…only seasoned divers buy used gear as so much of the new gear offered on the current market is worthless.

Why would anyone want to join our sport knowing that they will be ripped to shreds for being a new diver?

Divers are supposed to be responsible and mature, yet some act like children by putting themselves up on a pedestal in these forums.

I retired from the Special Operations Community in 2007…RLTW!!! We would never treat a new Ranger with such lack of respect to the level of disrespect as I’m viewing in these forums.

Don’t you think experienced divers should be offering mentorship to new divers rather than degradation?

It’s not about making yourself feel like a better diver, but making someone else be a better diver!

Wake up people!!

Last edited:
There are a lot of good posts in this thread…in the same breath…I can’t believe some of the egos of “experienced” divers that are posting in these threads.

Size of Knives…Innovative/New Gear…Speaking of experiences? (As experienced divers are doing here)! Pardon me...I almost forgot…only seasoned divers buy used gear as so much of the new gear offered on the current market is worthless.

Why would anyone want to join our sport knowing that they will be ripped to shreds for being a new diver?

Divers are supposed to be responsible and mature, yet some act like children by putting themselves up on a pedestal in these forums.

I retired from the Special Operations Community in 2007…RLTW!!! We would never treat a new Ranger with such lack of respect to the level of disrespect as I’m viewing in these forums.

Don’t you think experienced divers should be offering mentorship to new divers rather than degradation?

It’s not about making yourself feel like a better diver, but making someone else be a better diver!

Wake up people!!

I think some of what's been said in here was meant tongue-in-cheek ... but I agree with you about mentors. I created a thread on that topic not too long ago ... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/479923-mentors.html

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wake up people!!

I think you definitely misunderstood the purpose of this thread. It's not to belittle new divers and rip them to shreds, at least not the way I perceived it. Its original intent is how to tell, as an experienced diver, if a diver is going to need guidance/mentorship in the water. If a diver displays signs of being a mess, I assume they will be one. Depending on the situation, I might ASK to dive with that person!

I'm not as experienced of a diver as I'd like to be (is anybody? :D) but I do pride myself on a lot of hard work to get myself to where I am. My wife has under 50 dives, and looks great in the water....through hard work and mentorship. I've spent a LOT of time in swimming pools and pool-like OW conditions helping people set gear up, tweak gear, learn back-kicks, learn frog kicks, learn to helicopter turn, etc. I've spent a lot of time with certified divers, teaching them how to clear their masks. I wasn't paid/compensate for any of it. I'm not a "Dive Pro" nor am I wanting any glory or praise for it. I want anyone that dives with/near me to be as good as they can be, more my safety as much as theirs. I go above and beyond to try it.

HOWEVER.....if I'm on an expensive vacation (my honeymoon, most recently)....I really don't want to deal with a diver that takes 3 knives, 2 cameras, 4 bungee retractors, a spare air, a pony bottle, an extra mask, three computers, a magnadoodle, a big flat slate, two snorkels on a 30ft reef dive that puts his BCD on upside down with his regs backwards and starts the dive off trying to breathe from his LPI. There are things I look for to give off signals to avoid certain types of divers when I'm simply not in the mood or in any position to help them. Not understanding that is a pretty unrealistic perspective.

I definitely understood the post. My comments are directed toward the egomainacs and the know it all's that added no value to your intent.

About problems setting up gear.....

Spent the prior weekend, and all dives that season up to that point diving my dry suit. Went on a dive with some friends to a warmer water location. Proceeded to suit up, and something was amiss.... suddenly it dawned on me I had my WS on backwards.... was so used to the front zip of my DS, it didn't register....

It got some good laughter..... awkward, but earned.....

Spent the prior weekend, and all dives that season up to that point diving my dry suit. Went on a dive with some friends to a warmer water location. Proceeded to suit up, and something was amiss.... suddenly it dawned on me I had my WS on backwards.... was so used to the front zip of my DS, it didn't register....

It got some good laughter..... awkward, but earned.....

Saw the reverse once ... guy pulls his drysuit on and comments about how it didn't feel right. A quick glance and I was able to discern his problem right away ... I mentioned to him that the relief zipper was supposed to go in the front ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As a relatively new diver, over 70 less than 100 dives (don't have my log with me), I've witnessed a lot of things on dive boats that baffle even me. However, my wife and I got really, really lucky and hooked up with a group of divers in the Gulf Coast area. Lot's of cave, cavern and tech divers. So you learn fast watching them, the way they route hoses, buoyancy control - darn near everything we do as divers was made better by diving with them. The LDS does fun nights once a month here in Baton Rouge. Obstacle courses, games, etc. We go, and spend most of it working on buoyancy, and running through various scenarios. Dropping your rig, grabbing a weight pouch (both of us dive integrated weights) - and then doing the obstacle course with the other while using their second. Shooting SMB's. Reaching around and hitting the others inflate button - rule is you can't hit the surface before getting back in control. Turning air off, ripping masks and fins off, regs out, etc. We practice - a lot. That way, at least to my mind, when the (to steal a phrase from here) the smelly stuff hits the spinny thing, we already know what to do and remain calm. It's happened and we both remained calm, handled the situation and continued the dives.

On our trip last month, we were paired with a 3rd diver as a buddy 3 times in 14 dives. In the diving world, these were "easy" dives. Max depth less than 35', 100' vis in some cases, light current but heavy surge with 3-5's on the surface, but we approach pretty much every dive the same regardless of depth, and a panicked diver heading to the surface from 33' holding their breath - not good. We talked about it between the two of us, and agreed - after talking to each diver.

Back to instabuddy stories - the first gentleman had about 10 dives after OW. We talked to him and made sure he understood the plan, hand signals, gear configurations, lost buddy, OOA scenarios, etc. He was MY buddy. When we splash in, don't follow my wife, don't swap buddies in the middle - stay with ME. For your purpose, she isn't part of the group. Me and my wife dive together enough, she knew to stay in buddy distance, and I trusted her to kind of do her own thing off to the side. Instabuddy stayed fairly close most of the time, but wow - I've never seen anyone dog paddle underwater like that - I'm not sure if he ever used his fins. But we got him back to the boat and showed him a lot of cool things he was swimming right past. Now I am an amputee diver, so I do use my hands on occasion, but nothing like this.

Second Instabuddy had about 20 dives after OW. Same plan - they stay with ME, etc. He had a rental camera and every time he went to take a picture, he held his breath and poof - he's a dolphin. But he stayed close and really enjoyed his dive. After the dive, he met us in the parking lot, and was asking me about my big camera rig. Putting it all on me (not him), I explained the hardest thing for ME to learn was not holding my breath to take pictures UW, like you do on the surface, that it took a while, but you HAVE to learn it fast or you're going to be in trouble. 33' to the surface, holding your breath, the air in your lungs expands to double what it was. He listened and thanked me for the info. Hope he remembers it.

3rd instabuddy - we almost said no. Her first dive after certification. 4 months ago. On vacation. In a foreign country. Hmm. We talked, and agreed to talk to her. Same plan - you dive with ME, etc. etc. She was probably the best diver out of the 3. She stayed glued to my side, no more than 3-4' away and always quick to respond to signals. When I gave her my backup light to use for looking into the nooks and crannies, she just about started glowing underwater. Not the best buoyancy control, but really good for her first dive after cert IMHO, and if she hooks up with the right crowd, she's going to make a great diver.

We got all 3 back to the boat safe and sound, so they were great dives. Now to the funny stuff :D

1st instabuddy had such an unusual breathing pattern he literally had a steady stream of bubbles that never stopped. When I saw it, I thought something was wrong. But he made it back to the boat after 50 minutes with 800psi. When we pointed out the free swimming moray, I thought he was heading back to the boat right then and there. When we pointed out the free swimming nurse shark, I REALLY thought his dive was over, but he swam right over and scoped it out with us. He also tried to go everywhere at warp speed.

Last instabuddy, about 45 minutes into the dive, signed "where's the boat?" After checking her pressure again to make sure she was ok, I rolled on my back and pointed up to the boat and tag line :D. In her defense, she was the best diver out of the 3 we had, and we had covered some ground on this dive, crossing over the "dead zone" a few times to get to the other side of the ledge, and we only had 5 minutes left in the dive plan anyway. Plus, how often do you look up, especially as a new diver? Afterwards in the parking lot, she said she had found it quite amusing when she had asked me where my wife was at one point during the dive, and I just pointed to her, without ever stopping lining up the picture I was trying to get or looking in my wife's direction.

2 of the 3 couldn't remember the signal for "what's your pressure?" and 1 could only remember the OOA sign. All 3 had a different way to signal pressure back. We agreed that when I asked, just show me your gauge. One of them liked our one handed method so much, she picked it up on the ride out, and used it on her dive with us. Fast learner.

It was a great learning experience for all of us, and although we dive with these boats quite often, it was nice to know the crew thought we were good enough to handle a third. Again, these were easy benign standard Keys diving, but if you're underwater, anything can happen. It was pretty cool to get 3 "new" divers (even though I still fall into that category as well I guess) and show them some great dives.

Off topic slightly, and funny to me anyway, on one of our just standard me and her buddy dives, vis was terrible. 8-10' is being generous. 4-5's on the surface, 40-60' dive profile. Embarrassing, but I blew the nav. Completely. 100%.:dork2:

50 minute dive plan (back on the boat at 500psi or on the tag line at 50 minutes). At 45 minutes, after searching for the anchor for 10 minutes, sighed, signaled, and we did a "crappy water" free ascent. Our first one ever outside training. All I could think about was the "surface swim of shame". Then we hit a heavy current at 25' that went all the way to the surface. Great. Here we are holding our safety stop, and I could just feel the boat getting further and further away. Shot the SMB, and did a REALLY slow ascent from there, ears open for boats. Popped the top - and the boat looked like a speck, but was actually only about 150 yds away. Great. Signaled we were okay, and coming in on our own power. Barely saw the signal back, stay put, coming to get you. Cool. So we're drifting, waving this big 6' SMB around to keep from getting run over (Keys boat drivers are absolutely 100% certifiable) laughing and joking about it. We hear the boat crank up. We're drifting. We hear the boat turn off. 5 minutes later, still no boat. I was just drifting along on my back enjoying the sunshine, so I rolled over and looked - boat is WAY out there now, and doesn't appear to have moved. Hmmm. Starting to get a little nervous at this point. Try to signal the boat, but can't tell if they signal back or not, but did see a speck keeping eyes on us it seemed. A few minutes later, hear the boat crank up again and finally - here it comes.

Anchor was stuck, they had to send the DM down to get it loose. Made for an interesting surface interval at least.

Lizard Leg...your post is pretty cool. I really enjoyed reading about your new diver experiences and how they worked out. It has definitely given me some food for thought.

---------- Post added April 17th, 2014 at 06:42 PM ----------

Saw the reverse once ... guy pulls his drysuit on and comments about how it didn't feel right. A quick glance and I was able to discern his problem right away ... I mentioned to him that the relief zipper was supposed to go in the front ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That would be me Bob...LOL!!! Luckily for me my dry suit zips from shoulder to shoulder and doesn't have a relief zipper...:rofl3:

As someone mentioned earlier, the idea that two non-self reliant divers without any real experience together are somehow "safer" than a solo diver who knows they must and is prepared to take care of themselves...is something I don't find persuasive.

So for me, it's anyone who shows a hint of discomfort with agreeing to the 'same day, same ocean' buddy system. Unless it's something so deep/long that team BO is the only feasible approach, I show up for all dives prepared to solo them. If that doesn't work for an insta-buddy, that's certainly not something wrong with them but we do need to re-shuffle...usually there's a photographer on board who's more than happy to be "buddied" with me. Sometimes I see them during the dive, more often I just scooter off and see them back aboard later.

Having actually been trapped, I'd carry a chainsaw if there was a place to stow it and it would run underwater.

I'd settle for a nice portable Broco torch :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom