What sets off your alarm bells?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I shudder to think what the guys on the dive boat in Subic Bay made of my sister and I at first. She has many more dives than I do. We both use rental equipment and enjoy having a laugh. We both take safety very seriously though and go through our checks carefully. We got chatting to the rest of the divers during our surface interval (all large retired men) and actually had such a great time. I certainly picked up a lot of tips from them. I am aware of my inexperience and will do my best to make sure that I dive as well as I can. I let any insta-buddy know that I'm relatively inexperienced and discuss things with them. During the dive I try and stick to my buddy (though sometimes that is quite a tricky thing to do if their buoyancy is dodgy!) and communicate.

Spent the prior weekend, and all dives that season up to that point diving my dry suit. Went on a dive with some friends to a warmer water location. Proceeded to suit up, and something was amiss.... suddenly it dawned on me I had my WS on backwards.... was so used to the front zip of my DS, it didn't register....

It got some good laughter..... awkward, but earned.....

i normally dive sans wetsuit.. i can take down to mid 60's and not get cold.. i really dislike wet suits.....

BUT i do own a 5mil front zip for when it is really nice out but cold.... i only wear it a few ties a year.

we were in grand turks two years ago and i rented a suit as it was a little chilly.... i started to put it on with the zipper in the front... the dive guide caught it and corrected me... i felt like a total tool.

---------- Post added April 30th, 2014 at 06:14 PM ----------

i have a knife comment......

i have several knives...

i have a cheapo ebay special cause i loose them, that is my general purpose knife..then i have a nice omer point knife i use spear fishing to stop unruly fish..

i also have a line cutter and a set of shears.

around here there is lots of monofilament on the wrecks... especially the inshore ones...
also have seen more than a few anchor lines...

in poor vis it would be very easy to get tangled up

I am fine with brand new OW divers, it is the diver with some experience who thinks he knows it all that scares the hell out of me.

I know the new gear was discussed but the guy with 20 year old gear that doesn't dive but 2 times a year. He usually has not had it serviced in 5 years and a hose is leaking or the reg free flows.

Hey folks Im just wondering what triggers you to be extra cautious with a new buddy/instabuddy?

I've had 3 regular buddies over the past 30+ years and Solo dive when they were not available, so just having a new buddy/instabuddy would make me more cautious.

Of course they might well advised to be more cautious around me.

Bob
----------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

I have to say, I take exception to this "hasn't dived in a few months" alarm.

Some of us live in temperate climates and have full-time jobs. This means unavoidable gaps in the log book.

Have to agree with you there Laconic...jaw surgery on monday will probably result in a good few months worth of gaps.

Alarm Bells does not mean that there is a problem. It just means that it might be wise to give more time to getting to know the buddy, agreeing on procedures, dive plan, etc. and also to be a bit more "buddy aware" then with a regular dive buddy especially early in the dive.

Actually folks Im just recently back from a trip and Ive a new set of alarm bells.
Screw the new gear alarm The alarm bell iis the one you are taught in the padi rescue course.
Talking too loud,fast and too wide eyed is one that gets me worried.

Back
Top Bottom