What shark is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wyatt

Registered
Reaction score
This shark was trapped in a bubu(an aluminium meshed fish trap) and was released unharmed... it was found in coral rubble area in shallow waters of singapore's Hantu island...The shark was about 30 cm in length. Appreciated if anyone can shed some light on this. It is believed to be some cat shark or epaulette shark but i need an exact ID on its taxanomy. Thanks!

Wyatt

GeraldinesShark.jpg

I didn't figure any native Singapore sharks still had their fins. :11:

I have found a number of references to Leopard Sharks in Singapore online so I assumed it was the same or a related species. I have not found any good ID photos for the Singapore version of the Leopard Shark so it could be a different species with the same common name and I am mistaken.

White-spotted bamboo shark

Bottom-dwelling White-spotted bamboo sharks (Chiloscyllium plagiosum) are native to the Indo-Western Pacific Ocean. They prefer shallow water close to shore and can often be found in tide pools. The body is dark brown or blackish with numerous white spots. Their mouth is in front of the eyes and the nose is above the mouth. Barbels or sensory organs are attached to each nostril. The diet of the White-spotted bamboo shark includes invertebrates. They lay eggs (oviparous) that can often be seen on the bottom of the exhibit. Bamboo sharks are not considered dangerous to humans and are fairly common; however, they are regularly fished commercially. If this continues, a more threatened status is likely.

http://www.dwazoo.com/a_Predators.html

Thank you everyone for your valuable input. I was searching all other species of carpet and cat sharks but just conveniently overlooked the family of bamboos which they are most commonly found in Singapore's waters. Thanks again Scuba Bill for the correct ID! I've thought i've seen enough Bamboo sharks and dismissed this one as it clearly has unusual white spots around its dark bands.... which common brown banded bamboos lacks...

Wyatt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom