What should I look for in a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GISdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have just been certified and would like to know what you would do different if you were buying a wetsuit for the first time (if you knew then what you know now). This would be suit for moderate to warm water, probably a 3mm.

Thanks,

Mike

First off, Congrats on your C-card.

Real estate is location, location, location.

Wetsuits are fit, fit, fit. It's that simple. If it doesn't fit well, don't buy it. Even if the price is a steal. Did you ever buy a pair of shoes that didn't fit? If so, they're probably on the floor of your closet. Beyond fit, look for convenience and comfort features like hyperstretch or its equivalent, zipper location (up to you which you prefer) and zippered ankles which may make it easier to put on. Hopefully, you're going to be using this suit for quite a few years so cost is the last thing I would worry about.

Fit and comfort mainly. A wetsuit should fit as tightly as possible -- if you can get it on and zipped up (even needing up with the zipper), it's probably not too big. And if you have much room to breathe in it, you might want to try a size smaller. The loser your wetsuit is, the more water there will be between you and the wetsuit, so the less warm it will keep you. When I first started diving, before I got my own wetsuit, they never had rental ones that were quite small enough for me, and when I finally did get my own 3mm the difference from the rental ones I'd used was enormous. I'd been wearing a full 3mm with a 3mm shortie over it, and was far warmer in the same water temperatures with a properly fitting full 3mm and no shortie. The people at the dive shop where you buy your wetsuit should be able to help with fit. Wetsuits tend to be hard to put on, and it can be tempting to go for one that's a bit looser so it goes on more easily, but a dive skin can help a lot with that (you just wear it under the wetsuit, and it helps the wetsuit slide on more easily), and might be something to consider if you find it hard to get the wetsuit on (also, a dive skin can be worn without a wetsuit to provide sun protection and some protection from scrapes and such in warmer water, so depending where you'll be diving it might be useful for that as well).

You also want one that's well made. I don't know quite what to tell you to look for on that one, but higher-end wetsuits just kind of feel like the material is better quality, and the seams are sturdier and neater, and all that kind of stuff... it's not much different than other clothes that way, where you can just kind of tell if it's good quality or not (or at least I can). You tend to get more or less what you pay for with these things (obviously not withstanding sales or various discounts and such, and within a reasonable margin -- a $5 difference won't tell you much, but there's a huge difference between a $20 wetsuit and a $200 one, with the former probably better suited to a small child playing on the beach than a serious scuba diver), and a good wetsuit isn't cheap, but assuming you're not expecting to grow out of it or anything, you'll probably be using it for quite a long time, and a better wetsuit will probably hold up a lot longer.

If you're like me, color is also an important factor -- try to find a wetsuit that matches the rest of your gear (or if you don't have other gear yet, look for something you'll want to match other gear to as you buy it). I say that largely in jest, but, fashion concerns aside, it can actually be pretty useful, especially on boat dives where you might end up with a bucket full of masks, a pile of fins, etc., and also to make it easier for your buddy to keep track of you in the water. My gear is all bright pink (or gray/black with pink trim for things like wetsuits, BC, etc.), so while everyone else is sorting through a bucket of very similar masks for the one with their initials, I can always grab my pink one right away, and my mom loves my pink fins and the pink swim cap I wear to keep my hair out of my mask when I'm not wearing a hood because she can always spot me underwater, whereas my dad's gear was all very generic colors, mostly black, so if there were other divers around I would usually have to swim to where I could see his face, or at least his camera, to see it was him, and it was a lot harder to keep track of him that way.

+1 on fit. But a good fit in a wetsuit is snugger than you might expect. It shouldn't be so tight you can't move, or too hard to get into, but it needs to fit very close to the skin in order to reduce water transfer to a minimum and keep you warm.
Once you find a good fit, if you like stretch or ankle zippers for easy donning, go for it. Durability is also important but is hard to predict by looking at the suit. Reviews from other users may help with that.

I have small wrists so I needed one with double seals on the wrists and ankles.

Mine cost a little more because it is built better, but its that little bit that makes all the difference and now when I use it I don't even think about the cold anymore.

I'll caveat the tight fit with "not so tight you can't move or breath comfortably." Well, maybe not moving, it's much easier to move in a wetsuit in the water, but you will need to test range of motion and not make the neck so tight that it constricts circulation.

I bought a wetsuit 7 years ago for $100 to surf. It's a 3mm full suit that has fully taped seams. I've worn it probably 500 times in those 7 years and the only issue I have is the interior seam tape is starting to come off by sticking to my skin. Newer suits of similar quality tend to have an inner lining that makes this a non-issue, but the seam tape is great. I've since added another 6 or 7 suits to my closet, to allow for varying levels of coverage and wider temperature ranges in the water Not absolutely necessary, but very nice. As for hyperstretch, I don't personally like it for diving suits. Great for surfing, but compresses too much for my taste in diving suits. I get cold easily and more compression means less warmth. Others like them very much. Other features like ankle and wrist zippers are nice, but I've never bothered with even looking for suits that have them. My daughter has them on her suit though and she very much appreciates them.

One last thing I'd mention is a hood. Integrated hoods are, in my opinion, much more comfortable than add ons. Of course that means you're wearing a hood every time you dive, but for me that is often the case anyway.

I like them quick on and quick off.

No struggling, sweat or thrashing around in a crowded boat. Zip and done.

That to me means full length zippers down the arms and legs.

Try looking at Wetwear - Wet Suits for Sport Divers the one called the EZ-On, 2nd one down on the list.

They do have a sponsor forum here on ScubaBoard in the equipment section.

Quality costs and you get what you pay for.

My ONeill farmer john has an attachable hood that overlays and seals the neck. On the one hand, I stay really warm even when diving in 42 degree water. Unfortunately, it also seals so well that it takes forever to expel the trapped air, so bouyancy constantly changes for 15-20 minutes into the dive. So there are some tradeoffs you have to work through. If you have a cooperative LDS, they can be a lot of help in figuring out what works for you. Have fun :D

If you have a cooperative LDS, they can be a lot of help in figuring out what works for you.

LDS? I'm guessing 'local dive shop'? But I figure if I don't know what it means, and having bought a wetsuit I presumably have more experience buying wetsuits than people who've never bought one before, there's a good chance it's worth defining :)

Back
Top Bottom