What size of tire for making tank bands for 80's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gearbow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I want to just buy or get used tire tubes for my 80's 95's and 40's that i plan to stage and dive sidemount. was going to check Walmart for tire tube but no sense buying something to big. So what size i need my friends.

thumbnail.asp

Those are all going to be different, although the 80s and 95s are likely close enough. I used a wheelbarrow tube for my 40s.

You might measure the diameter of the tanks and then take a tape-measure to the store... I'm pretty sure that once you have cut them up, you'll have trouble returning them if they're the wrong size. ;-)

You want them snug, but not stupid-tight.

okay, a week ago, I'd have run down and got the size off a new inner tube I bought from a shop in the Philippines (Jeepney tire inner tube), but today, after trying to slip my long hose back into the bands with gloves I suggest what I'm now using, which is 6mm bungee tied off and the knot becomes my pull point. Cheap, easy, and don't wear as quickly as the inner tubes (granted, I got nearly 100 dives on my first tube band set before they were completely shot.)

Definitely try 6mm bungee. It;s far easier to remove/replace hoses from..... has enough tension to keep the long hose secure.

Rubber is a pain-in-the-ass....and causes less experienced divers FAR too much aggravation and task loading in what should be a simple skill (replacing the long hose).... In reality, with bungees uses, it takes 15 seconds single-handed.

Some of the commercially available elasticised bands are good.... but they ARE expensive..... and the elasticity wears out after a short while, leaving them useless...

Bungee here too.

Go to a place that sells and repairs commercial lawnmowers. I think that would be a winner for different size tubes in the trash pile.

I get mine from the local Harley Davidson shop. Small front tube, great on pony bottle. Standard back tube works great on my LP108's, I'm fairly sure they will work with the 80's. I use para cord and tie a loop around the tube so I can pull it away easily (not long enough to catch on anything). It's a lot cheaper than buying premade at the dive shop and works just as well.

14695321794371295119052.jpg

I use this one. It's for a light truck. Works real well. Deflated diameter is 81/4 inches. BTW I'm in the Philippines so it's easier to get these sort of things.

Last edited:
I made my bungees out of green "REP Band" tubing, which is available on Amazon. It's a synthetic, latex-free exercise-band material that does a good job of securing my hoses to my tanks.

I just wish it felt more comfortable as a "croakie" for my left-tank regulator. Latex "surgical tube" is far more comfortable, but it degrades too quickly ... maybe I ought to try covering the REP Band with something soft and comfy....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom