What solo cert do you have, has it ever been turned down?

What solo cert do you have, has it ever been turned down?

• PADI Self-Reliant Diver, never turned down

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • PADI Self-Reliant Diver, turned down

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • SDI Solo Diver, never turned down

Votes: 50 34.2%
  • SDI Solo Diver, turned down

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Other agency, designate in post, never turned down

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other agency, designate in post, turned down

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Solo dive, not certified, never turned down

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • Solo dive, not certified, turned down

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
These questions have been asked numerous times before, but never subjected to a poll that I could find. Please designate which solo certification you have and whether it has never, or has been turned down by an operator that allows for solo diving. If you have been certified by other than PADI or SDI, please list the agency in a post to the thread. Multiple responses are allowed, as I have read on SB that some may have more than one solo certification. There is a response available for divers who solo dive, but have not been certified. I solo dived for years before I pursued certification, to increase my flexibility with operators who do not know me.

Thanks in advance for your participation

SDI Solo. I’ve had to show it several times. It’s never been denied as long as I had an AAS. It WAS denied once because I didn’t have an AAS. I selected never denied because not having my pony was my fault and I was not within SDI Solo guidelines. Funny thing is the site was 25’ max depth! LOL But still my fault for not bringing my AAS.

SDI, haven't been turned down yet. But I haven't been asked since I got the card. I try to take pictures, I think everyone who tries (or succeeds) is a solo diver anyway

SDI solo but haven't actually had to show my card yet. California dive boats are a little less nanny-ish than the stories I've heard from abroad.
I know what you mean. I've dived in Southern Calif quite a few time in the 2000s. I was never asked about solo cert, some of the operators knew me, some, not so much. I did all my initial diving in SoCal, it is a different place, many assume competency :)

I'm not solo certified and never sought to do so on boats. A couple of times I was allowed to go solo when my instabuddy cancelled (cold, etc.). They knew I had a DM card so I guess they figured I'm OK. Maybe because boat DMs go down solo to adjust the anchor?

The first time I ever needed to use it was at Olympus Dive Center in NC. My son got seasick and I didn't like the prospect of an insta-buddy. I talked to Capt George and he said if you have the card, go for it.

I think some places like the word solo on the card

ANDI solo cert. Have never had it turned down where solo diving was permitted. Lots of places don’t allow solo in any circumstance, usually takes a dive or two and then I am off on my own and nobody cares.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom