What Speciality to choose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sebastian

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey

I'm working part-time at my LDS and I basically get paid in specialities/courses.

I just would like some opinions on which speciality to start off with

The last course I did was 'Rescue Diver'.

I want to get into Wreck diving down the track so I thought EANx would be a good prerequisite for it.

On the other hand I got a new BCD for Christams (my first one) and since I now own all my gear (except for tank) a Peak Performance Buoyancy course might be a good idea too.

Can anyone comment on the (PADI) Peak Performance Buoyancy course. Is it worth it?

Thanks,

Sebastian

I don´t have a wreck cert myself so maybe I should stay quiet (i do have a Nitrox cert though and will get a wreck cert as soon as I find the time). A lot of wrecks are a fair way below the surface and for most of the wreckdives I´ve done, Nitrox wouldn´t do you much good (as they´ve been around 30+ meters). Most important of all, in my opinion, is that learning to dive with different gases won´t make you a better diver (except for the 2+ dives that are included). If you are interested in wreckdiving my suggestion would be to go for that course first and then do a Nitrox after, if you still feel the need.

Every opinion is welcome

That's a valid point but even using Nitrox on "shallow" wrecks would help to increase bottom time and increase saftey.

I'm gonna think about it

It really depends on your area and the wrecks you want to dive. Do your homework. If the wrecks you want to dive now are not below 30 meters I think Nitrox is the way to go it will give you longer bottom time to spend on the wrecks. I did the Nitrox class first, and am sceduled to do search and recovery the end of Jan, and am looking to do a wreck specialty this spring. But alas the final decision to doing your training is up to you. Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.

grazie42:
A lot of wrecks are a fair way below the surface and for most of the wreckdives I´ve done, Nitrox wouldn´t do you much good (as they´ve been around 30+ meters).

Here's something to think about.

Most wrecks that I’ve dived, with a few exceptions (such as U-352), end up being multilevel dives. You go to the bottom swim around for awhile and then work your way up. So while Nitrox may only give you a few extra minutes of NDL at the deepest depth, diving with a computer (or using the wheel for multilevel dive planning) on the typical multilevel wreck dive, it results in significant additional time within the NDL at the shallower depths, allowing you to potentially extend your dive time, gas supply permitting, while staying within the NDL.

Mike

Sebastian:
Hey
I just would like some opinions on which speciality to start off with
I want to get into Wreck diving down the track so I thought EANx would be a good prerequisite for it.
Can anyone comment on the (PADI) Peak Performance Buoyancy course. Is it worth it?

Thanks,

Sebastian

Definitely go the nitrox route...but make the instructors work with you on Peak performance Buoyancy (PPB) at the same time. The PPB class CAN be great & depending on the instructor can be not so great.

Ask the instructor what s/he will have you do during the course. Since you are already Rescue certified your buoyancy skills should be excellent by now anyway.

I'd like to hear how this turns out....keep us informed!!

IMHO... This is what I'd do:

Nitrox (not much help for wreck diving, but is a prerequisite for deco)
Deep Diving (this will extend your range to 130ft)
Adv. Nitrox (same reasons as Nitrox)
Deco. (this will give you the time to go down to the really deep wrecks and stay for some time)
Wreck (this is obvious)

While I'm not wreck certified, this is the plan I've begun. And unless you are having issues with bouyancy, I personally thing that Peak Performance Bouyancy is a waste.

Good luck.
David

yoda4x4:
I personally thing that Peak Performance Bouyancy is a waste.
Good luck.
David

David: Did you take PPB? If you did and it was a waste then you likely had a poor instructor -OR- you had bulletproof buoyancy skills when you took the course.

Definetly go nitrox. It is beneficial in all areas of diving, and is a good foundation for any type of diving.

jviehe:
Definetly go nitrox. It is beneficial in all areas of diving, and is a good foundation for any type of diving.
I agree. In addition to giving you more bottom tme when you have the gas, you feel beeter after a long day of diving. I also feel the course gets you thinking more about the gas you breathe and its effects on your body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom