What Strobe For 5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Dee it is done. When I send my credit card info, ya will do it Sunday always sleep on it over night. Buyers remorse you know. Good tip on tray and arms. Bad thing is I want to try video. And this new purchase will take away from my dream video system. You know I have been diving since 1975 and boy has the cost of new toys gone thru the roof. Some day we may cross paths any chance you will be in Utila end of May first part of June? And Oh Ya was I wrong on the Z-220 info?

hears my two cents listen to Dee there right on the money
reference this "Right now, most people are using the Sea & Sea YS90DX, Inon's D-180 or Z220, Ikelite's DS50 or DS125 are the three most popular brands and their models for the PT-15 housing."
I just purchased the IRON D-180 and its on the way , but i have been looking for six months and did my research the IRON strobe has been recommended over and over IRON D-180 just about every review i can find when compared to the SEA and Sea not sure why but its seems to pull ahead something about the firing method and suppose to be something to do with the spectrum of the light too , sorry can't give you more info but do a search your find your answer.

Congrats! I'm green with envy!

domino22:
...Some day we may cross paths any chance you will be in Utila end of May first part of June? And Oh Ya was I wrong on the Z-220 info?

I doubt it. We leave for Roatan next Saturday. Maybe you can join us on our trip to Roatan next April!

Um...I don't remember what you wrote on the Z-220. I'd have to look up the manual....

Hey Dee thanks for the reply. I was not sure about the Z-220 thought it was for TTL but I am not sure so I wanted to include a "Not sure about this" reply. I was just passing on some info I checked into as for correct info well I am not sure so that is why I am here. Got info from some folks in CA great on the phone and I bought my wide angle and some other stuff from them. And want to give them a shot at my new D-180. Damm I like mail order. With service! Oh go to GIO'S for crab and lobster for me! That is better than the diving!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of satisfied D180 divers.

1) Jeff Farris wrote this excellent article covering 5 high end strobes and his conclusion was he liked the D180. Please pardon the reference to "Brand X" forum, but it's good poop.

http://www.digitaldiver.net/images/strobearticle/strobearticlescrn2.pdf

2) I was also referred to the D180 by Tom Harman of Marine Camera Distributors (he uses it himself)

http://www.marinecamera.com/inon_d180.html

Mine's in the mail!

Jeff Farris, aka Sharpdiver aka Digital Diver, was my first 'mentor' in digital. It was his most excellent photos that caught my attention for the possibilities of digitals. And his unselfish sharing of the information and knowledge about the Oly digitals has benefited thousands. Once again, it was his strobe comparison and personal recommendation that steered me to the INON D-180. My new one is on a FedEx truck as we speak!

jerrymxz:
I wanted to know what everyone thinks is a good strobe to use with my 5050 and oly housing? I am not sure i can justify spending $600 for a top of the line unit. let me know what you think and what to avoid. Thanks in advance
Hi!After several months of research ,I finally settled for the C5060 ,PT-20 housing ,Inon 180 strobe and UCLS tray and ball arms.Its a great set up when you put it all together, and of course,practice,practice and more practice till you know exactly which knobs to push ,and aiming of the strobe,underwater!I practice alot dry before getting wet with it.I met Ryan at the Under the Sea Show in NJ this weekend,and the set up that I have seems to be the most popular exhibit for Oly owners.Good luck.Fredi.

I really liked my D-180 and Inon WA-100 lens (Ultralight tray and arms) while diving in Roatan for a week with my Oly C-5050 and PT-015. However, I was brand new to UW photography and had no prior experience to evaluate it. Bought the strobe, lens, tray, and arms from Ryan in KC.

Joe

Joe, I'll be working out those details myself in a few days. Strobe has never been my strong suit! I'm really hoping the focusing light on the D-180 will help in aiming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom