What to do in the event that...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ Garth

My dive instructor for the AOW made a point to back up yours - he said every diver is given their own life support for a reason - Individual Responsibility. He jumped on a huge soapbox but to sum it up, every diver paired or not must assume at some point he or she will need to take action to save their own life. The buddy system is flawless BUT PEOPLE ARE NOT so there's a huge margin for error.

I'm working through the PADI Rescue Diver book and one thing I noticed is they spend a great deal of time on self-rescue and seeing potential issues before they happen. Ive learned a great deal just from the book but realize there is more to learn with the actual dive and I'm stoked to do it!!!!!

I would suggest to "fuzzybabybunny" if your still reading this thread:

"What to do in the event you become a certified diver"

- Get 20 or so dives under your belt
- Make sure you jump off a boat, dont just shore dive
- Don't be a fair weather diver (exposure suits change everything and are their own discipline)
- Take the Advanced Open Water (AOW) course
- Get first aid and CPR certs then Take the Rescue Diver Course
- Log your dives - throw away the book & get computer software and a dive computer with a USB interface cable - then half the work is done for you.

By the time you get through the Rescue Diver Course, you should be 50 or so dives in and will have your own list of "what to do's"

- Post what you have learned - it gives us divers with only 5ft of viz stuff to try when theres nothing to look at :cool3:

This is a decent thread with a ton of valuable info!!!

That's my point that just because someone is a recreational diver doesn't mean that they should or don't need the redundancy of an h valve or a second cylinder.

To the OP. You seem like you want a better answer than an aluminum 80 and a buddy so this is why I keep suggesting secondary systems like doubles, an h- valve with two primary regs, a pony or a stage.
You want to be ready for a problem and it seems like you want to be empowered to deal with it on your own. A buddy system will help but knowing yourself is always better because then at that point the buddy becomes a bonus ... Not the end all to the problem.
I encourage you to look into more training that would include a more thorough emphasis on self rescue, and redundancy. It's life support.

Basic essentially means essential, and not all people are basic and are able to understand and learn more than the basics which pretty much from the start is essentially the goal.
And whilst indulging within the limits set by agencies regarding depth and conditions etc, these are not set in concretion but essentially at any time can change.

You are only almost guaranteed not to go beyond 60 if you stay at 33 or have a 60 bottom and if you start a dive before dusk, well.

But starting with the basics at the surface, before the iceman cometh, puts one in good stead for expansion and future problem solving below.

When you have been at the surface partaking or observing as everyone is present for but perhaps not observed, new folks or old folks with hair and hood inside masks listening to the orchestra of cam band velcro only to be semi secured at the crown of the tank with regs on backwards and other general new or stubborn awkwardness
Then can only be foreseen the inevitable Olympic proportion scurry and jumping by some to arrest one of their numbers surface freeflow because the said number cannot or does not think to reach their valve and no manner of tapping banging or thumb putting will achieve what a quick hose bend will.

Because no one wants to start a dive with anyone with less than a full tank.

One example. Does not apply to everything as everything has it's own basic solution unless ones mind is closed to learning and if your goal is to become a surgeon reading the book does not imply that the next step is to buy scalpels as would be the Doria if you can't decide which backplate to buy.

Not that there is anything wrong with having a plan and executing it, unless it is a plan with no options.

Because without dreams and plans and imagination you remain, dragging a lump of concrete attached to your foot.

Now I have to go and punch a hole in some tyre tube covered webbing and decide whether to grommet or not and sharpen the first stage diaphragm punch I made from a cupped hole saw and punch a few out from cheap reinforced neoprene because in the scale of nitrox it makes absolutely no difference..

I dive deep in dark water.
I am cold and still.
I close my eyes and hold my breath.
I hear my own heart beating.
I am profoundly alone.
But Knowone is with me.

"Solo with Emile"
by Mike Boswell

Freeflows don't always start slowly. My first one was a sudden and violent eruption of gas from my reg (that ended up emptying my tank in 90 seconds). If all I had was a little extra bubbling, I'd signal "urgent exit" to my buddy and start home, prepared, if necessary, to air-share and shut the valve. Shutting the valve has an enormous calming effect, because it gets rid of the godawful NOISE that's associated with a freeflow, as well as getting rid of the bubbles that are obscuring your vision.

Did you ever figure out what caused the sudden freeflow?

I just bought and dove a brand new Aeris ION. It has an adjustable knob that turns about 5 times before it clicks (meaning max setting). I haven't figured out the specifics but I can tell you that max adjustment will cause a free flow on the surface just by pressing the purge. The free flow - when maxed out cannot be arrested by plugging the mouthpiece. I had to back the reg down then plug the mouthpiece to stop it. I used 400psi from my tank just testing the adjustment of this REG and it only took a minute or less. Another point worth mentioning is while it free-flowed, I tried breathing off of it - not too sure I could do that without some practice cuz.......damn! That thing puts out some PSI. I would probably have to switch to my OCTO if I couldn't buddy breath and then go up.

I will say the reg breaths great even at its lowest setting but if I wouldn't use it where there was the potential for ice.

Back
Top Bottom