What to do when an instructor is out of line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please, for the sake of other divers, name the instructor and the shop here and inform them that you have done so.

R..

I want to give the shop owners (him and her) and opportunity to address my concerns. Right now I don't know that they condone this behavior. Naming names in public won't help resolve the issue.

I define resolution as:
- Initiating a QA action. The instructor was out of line in my opinion and this needs to be reviewed by PADI.
- Validating that the shop doesn't condone this and won't tolerate it.
- Deciding if I want to pursue more training or dives with this shop.
- I expect that PADI will remediate the instructor or remove the instructor which will ensure that this type of conduct is not tolerated.

Wow, the instructor is wrong on so many levels. Sounds like he was embarrassed and humiliated that he lost track of a student and then deflected it onto you by getting mad. It's a rather common human reaction - catch someone in a lie or a mistake and they often respond by getting mad at you.

You could bypass the shop and go directly to PADI with your concerns.

Aside from that, and nothing to do with your decision, but I would suggest putting off the DM course for awhile. IMHO you should have a lot more diving experience and be much more comfortable before beginning this course. You shouldn't take the course in order to learn how to dive like a DM. You should learn how to dive like a DM first then take the course to learn how to think like a DM.

If the instructor is to blame. As i said we've had 1 side of a story here so its impossible to work out what actually happened.

I want to give the shop owners (him and her) and opportunity to address my concerns. Right now I don't know that they condone this behavior. Naming names in public won't help resolve the issue.

Fair enough but if they respond .... "poorly" .... I believe it's in the best interests of everyone that a "repeat" of said behaviour is avoided. It shouldn't be done without informing them, however so they have a chance to defend themselves. I understand that you're not there yet.

As for QA. I'm sure PADI will do something about this but I don't think you'll like the resolution. They'll probably contact the instructor and ask for his version of the story and if you're unlucky he'll weave some kind of story that will put you in the role of bad-guy and it will become his word against yours. If PADI doesn't believe him then at most they'll give him a stern "ear washing" and make him sign a paper saying he understands what they said to him. I highly doubt that he will be "removed" for this.

R..

If the instructor is to blame. As i said we've had 1 side of a story here so its impossible to work out what actually happened.

True. However, I'm at a loss to conceive of what a student could do during a dive to justify a public berating as described.

This was horrible for the instructor to have behaved in this manner. Completely unacceptable. Only "25" dives under your belt? Do you really feel you are ready for a DM course? You admitted yourself you don't like this lake. If this is where you would be assissting as a DM, maybe you should get comfortable with this location first.

Good question. We typically dive in Houston at 288 Lake and Blue Lagoon. Both have excellent viz by comparison.

I would have no issues at Travis on the 30 and 40 foot platforms. I don't like dark, low-viz, cold environments.

I'm taking DM primarily to bring my dive skills to a higher level. I enjoy diving and I like helping others. I don't know right now if I want to aspire to be an instructor. I sure as hell don't want to be the kind of instructor who rushes students, cusses at them, and loses it.

I had an "am I ready" conversation with the Course Director, and Shop owner (who is a MSDT with more than 10 years of experience). I feel like I'm there.

I also think that Travis is challenging, and squeeze can happen to anyone. Yes, I was equalizing fine, no pseudafed etc, and no reasons not to make the dive.

I am not an instructor, but I have completed NAUI MSD, Rescue, AOW etc. We stress "PREDIVE DIVE PLAN" "SEABAG" I am shocked that the Instructor did not go through a "PREDIVE PLAN & DIVE PLAN" with you in a Deep dive especially in low visibility. You need to start are your own if they are not doing it GO through SEABAG predive with your team. People get lost and there should be a plan if this happens. Funny I find myself doing "SEABAG" on predive with buddies all the time. I would think the insturctor would have went through something similar with you ?

I do NOT think it was appropriate for him to curse you out. He was very unprofesional and belittleing. People make mistakes and he as an instructor is there to help you out to be a better diver. The whole goal is for you to be sure and confident on what your doing. Now you are always going to be on gaurd questioning your every move.
FIND A NEW INSTRUCTOR.

Fair enough but if they respond .... "poorly" .... I believe it's in the best interests of everyone that a "repeat" of said behaviour is avoided. It shouldn't be done without informing them, however so they have a chance to defend themselves. I understand that you're not there yet.

As for QA. I'm sure PADI will do something about this but I don't think you'll like the resolution. ...

I suspect you are right on PADI, but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. I guarantee that the instructor will weave a "bad guy" story because he already fed that to the CD.

Facts typically win out over lies and I've got witnesses, employee-witnesses (dive shop employee was present), and a dive computer dive profile that supports what I said happened.

According to PADI standards, you're not supposed to be ON dives deeper than 60 feet unless you neglected to include a Deep certification in your profile. Probably not wise to agree to guide a dive you're not qualified to make in low viz conditions at a site you're uncomfortable... live and learn.

Last edited:
According to PADI standards, you're not supposed to be ON dives deeper than 60 feet unless you neglected to include a Deep certification in your profile. Probably not wise to agree to guide a dive you're not qualified to make in low viz conditions at a site you're uncomfortable... live and learn.
:huh:
with Rescue cert , and on a Deep Diver training dive ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom