What To Do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm...so the general consensus is split, lol. I'm thinking that I should take the AOW in NE to challenge myself, although I'm thinking it's pretty dark down there at ~ 100ft. I have an outstanding instructor; I just hate the cold water and the dark.

I'll fix that... Do it in New England otherwise it will be a meaningless ritual. Also by doing it locally you have the chance to really select an instructor who will make it a meaningful experience.

If you have local pro aspirations anything else is hypocritical. Nothing says you need to dive the harbor. The next 8-10 weeks offer the seasons best diving so cold should not be a barrier. Limited visibility is reality.

Pete

I've been considering taking AOW in my near future, but I have a conundrum: Should I take it where I normally dive in NE or should I take it while I visit grandma in Naples, FL? You see, I'm torn between the two because I know for a fact I will continue my education to DM or even instructor, so I thought it might be a good idea to take it in NE where I would be teaching. On the other hand, FL water is so warm and clear making the dives much more easy and interesting (there's just more different things to see as far as animals/plants are concerned). I took my OW in Boston Harbor if that makes much of a difference. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery? All help is appreciated...

I would do the AOW in New England. You are planning to become a dive professional so you don't need easy you need to learn how to dive in challenging environments.

Diving to 105 feet in Curacao on the Superior Producer is quite different from diving to 95 feet on the Chester Poling off the cost of Massachusetts.

Curacao = 1 mm dive skin, 820 F water and the ability to see the entire wreck from just below the surface.

Chester Poling = 7 mm jump suit with hooded vest (or dry suit) & 5 mm gloves or dry gloves, 480 - 500 F water and not seeing the wreck until you are 15 feet above it.

I use this as an example because I have experienced both. Needless to say it is obvious which one is more challenging and more of a learning experience.

Well Shot (can I call you shot?), you have a decent number of dives. You also say you have a good instructor. Does your instructor know you want to teach?

I'd say train with the local shop. Unless you know you have the best instructional team in the area, shopping around a little won't kill you. Taking classes from different people might broaden you, even if it's learning how NOT to do something. :wink:

If you can, take AOW in both locations. They'll be happy to take your money! :D You will gain some experience. You won't offer your students much if the only experience you offer is the same site on different days.

On my list of "things you should know" is gas planning, which should come with a deep class. I like nitrox because it adds a little to understanding gas physics. Nitrox is also a common option at dive resorts and live aboards, so knowing may help prep students. You might be good enough with navigation and limited vis / night that those won't benefit you much. Your instructor might be able to help, and might be able to tailor the class to prepping you for divemaster and instructor duty.

Good luck!

I essentially learned to dive here in Boston, and then spent a few months in French Polynesia. It's true what everyone here says... warm water is cake once you've grown accustomed to the murky waters of the northeast US. But honestly, if you're considering a career in diving, I really don't think it'll matter that much in the long run where you do your training. You've only got so many days in your life to live, and only so many dives to dive, so just go wherever you'll enjoy it the most.

Why can't you take advanced in Boston and just tag along with a dive group in Naples for some enjoyable warm water dives? I'm sure you could find some ScubaBoard members that will be out the weekend you're down to see grandma. Dives are dives and you can practice skills, boyancy and air consumption anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom