What to eat in between dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey everyone,

Today I'm going on my first 2 open water dives for my certification!! However, I'll be out from 2pm to 7pm, so I'll need to bring something to eat to keep me going. What would you guys suggest I bring to eat during our surface interval?

Thanks for the help!
Carbs and hydration. Both very important.

I also like PB&J when boat diving, on whole wheat bread. I take lots of water and usually another hydrating drink like powerade or gatorade as well. But for some reason peanut butter and jelly tastes really really good after a salty dive.

Anything that causes heartburn or leads to the WARHAMMER manuever are probably a bad idea. Just sayin....

How about what NOT to eat? Doritos or Funyuns. Both made breathing through my reg on a hour long dive pretty miserable. Gross.
If my buddies and I are shore diving we usually do some sort of pot luck with a grill. Everyone brings something to contribute to the feast.
On a boat with "shooters," we usually have freshly made ceviche!

oranges are the best, even if you feel seasick; plus it comes in its own positively buoyant carrying case. Fruit sugar won't keep you going all afternoon though, so include some simple protein in the meal. mild stuff like lentils or tuna will give you energy past a couple of hours.

It's also nice to check out what's around you. my local intertidal mussel (Mytilis edulis) tastes great in the winter months with an onion, olive oil, some fresh kelp, thyme, and cooked in its own seawater for 5 minutes. Lunchables may be easier but they won't be fresher, plus its yet a way to fully appreciate the dive site. (ymmv)

Stick to water and avoid carbonated beverages of any kind. You don't want fizz and burping/gas pains on your next dive.

(horror story here about a student throwing up red, instructor thought he had blown a lung.... turned out he ate a whole bag of Twizzlers, ugghhh)

I know at the time it happened, had to of been very scary. But now...:rofl3:
:coffee:

I like to take a few boxes of granola bars with me on dive trips and eat them between dives. You just want something with good carbs, oats and what not. I've also been known to sneak a few of those little boxes of cereal from the hotel breakfast and eat them on the boat.

What ever the divers who came on the boat brought. I eat what ever looks good while they are down on there dive. :angrymob:

In all seriousness I tend to raid my cabinet of dive food every morning before a day of diving. Drink wise PowerAids, or Gatorade. Food wise cheese crackers, fruits, a good grinder, my daughters little gold fish bags, fruit cups, pudding cups, cheese sticks. My spouse says she has to feed two children every day.

Avoid anything with a strong aftertaste. Brownies, Cookies, etc. I worked at a shop that would serve little brownie bites between dives and I hated it cause for the next hour all i could taste was brownie in my reg. And of course when you see them all the boat you can't help but eat them.

I know its extremely non-AWARE of me but often I will eat sushi on dive boats. Its light on the tummy, no after taste, theres often ginger in it which helps with sea sickness (if your prone to it).

DO NOT EAT THE CREWS / CAPTAINS / INSTRUCTORS FOOD! Im not kidding customers eat my lunch all the time! "It was in the cooler, I thought it was free"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom