What to get the Missuss....and ME!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Seasoned Greetings All,

Need to order a camcorder for the Missuss for Christmas; thing is, I'd like to use the same camcorder for some relatively simple holiday diving video down south. I'm looking for an easy to use model, with exceptional video
quality, if that is possible. I'm assuming that u/w housings are available for certain brands of camcorders. I'd spend up to 2g's for the combo.

The only u/w video I've done was with commercial systems for inspection in the offshore oilfields.

Any recommendations?

Much appreciated!

Regards,
DSD

Is the $2k inclusive of housing?

What do you want from the camera? Just home video / youtube (but still FullHD) or something that is broadcast quality?

I've been really happy with my GoPro3 - and for all my previous videos its been great - BUT have just spent a obscene amount of money on a Panasonic GH3 and Nauticam housing and all the bits, which provides broadcast quality 1080p and more importantly a lot more potential for creativity.

Personally I think the days of the 'camcorder' are over. I would say most of the modern large CCD compacts are well ahead of the current crop of dedicated camcorders.

Have a look at the Sony RX100 series of camera, small, excellent video (1080p60) and I think within budget for the camera and housing

Camera:
Amazon.com: Sony DSC-RX100M II Cyber-shot Digital Still Camera 20.2MP, Black: SONY: Camera & Photo

Ikelite Housing:
Ikelite Underwater Housing for Sony Cybershot RX100 II / DSC-RX100M2

or Nauticam:
Nauticam USA - Innovation Underwater - Nauticam USA News - Announcing Housing for Sony RX100 II

Down south meaning the Caribbean? If so, you can get excellent results with a red filter instead of having to buy lights which you won't be able to do under $2K in the traditional camcorder space.

A current model Canon HF G20 is around $849. The Ikelite housing for it is $1000.

Canon Hfg20| B&H Photo Video
Underwater Housing for Canon Camcorder HF G10, HF G20

Equinox Housings also sells their HD5/6 models for almost all current Sony or Canon camcorders. I personally will not recommend their products - read some of the posts about them here. You can buy their housing for most current Sony/Canon models within your budget. Other - Equinox Underwater Housings There's a lot of them selling new on eBay.

Back
Top Bottom