What type of regulator should I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudacoupe

Reaction score
What type of regulator should I buy? I am new to diving but I dont want a low quality regulator.....something middle of the road. I have been looking at the Oceanic Delta 3, Omega 2 and the Atomic b1. Also, which type of first stage?? A diaphram or piston? Any information is appreciated. I am also open to buy a used regulator since I am a high school student..... you get the picture.

Thanks, Billy

I am very happy with my Apex TX100 with a ATX50 octo. I feel that as far as price wise is about middle of the road. And quality is very above average.

I own an Atomic B1 and like it a lot, but buying again I'm not sure I'd spend the extra dollars over the Z1. The difference in the weight of the second stage is negligible, and they both breath much the same.

Thanks a lot for your info, I might try to purchase one used.

I am looking at picking up a backup regulator, and considered buying used, but unless you get a stellar deal it probably isn't worth it.

If you buy a used reg, you'll probably want to pay your LDS to take a look at it, and/or service it, which adds $50 or so to the total. Personally I found that in most cases I could buy new online for much the same amount.

Cuda, take a look at the Aqualung line. The titan is quality and modest price. Their Legend series is definitely upscale and medium price. If you buy a used reg it is perhaps better to buy one that is not of the piston type. Some of these have a tendency to drift; eg their intermediate pressure settings require yearly checks. However, I've seen five year old diaphragm regs which were still on spec. I would ask about the general condition, especially ask what the filter looks like. If the screen is anything but shiny clean brass I would pass. Check used reg in the pool. Look for freeflow, chatter or fluttering. Make sure the adjustment knob is easy to turn. A good regulator can go for several years without service provided that it is kept clean. In any case, Aqualung service and parts are widely available. Buying new or used, the net does offer some good deals.

Another fine reg from the AquaLung line is the Cousteau. It's a higher-performing reg than the Titan line, and when coupled with a Glacia (cold water) or Micra Adj (small, adjustable) second stage, it makes for an excellent mid-range at a great price. Like all AquaLungs, they are easily serviced anywhere.

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary...

I dive using the Poseidon Jetstream and love it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom