What underwater air-driven horn do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

applecorps

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Seems like it's getting harder to find a reliable underwater horn driven by a low pressure hose. The ones being sold are too often cheaply made and perform badly.

So, please weigh in with your suggestions!

Thank you,

Richard

It's much easier to get a groups atention by blowing it then by wawing your hands while everyone is watching that pretty morray eal.

Quack quack....one DM we had the other day had one...I thought it was a toad fish :wink:

Seems like it's getting harder to find a reliable underwater horn driven by a low pressure hose. The ones being sold are too often cheaply made and perform badly.

So, please weigh in with your suggestions!

Thank you,

Richard
Suggestions? don't buy another one. Whose attention are you hoping to get? you can't tell direction of sound under water, so I am not sure what it would accomplish other than scaring the fish and pissing off other divers. Buy a tank banger, much cheaper and easier for me to ignore...

Well, I guess from the above comments that I should be embarrassed to admit that I have one:)
First of all, a tank banger isn't going to get the attention of the dive boat ignoring where I am in the water,
though fortunately I haven't had to use it on the surface.
Under water you do not need to depress the button all the way to get the attention of someone. A short partial sounding is like a burp and is no more annoying any other sound.
I rarely use mine, but in Belize we had one DM more interested in scooting way ahead to kill lion fish than pointing things out. The other divers in the group appreciated that I had a means of getting his attention back to stuff we were looking at. Just a short burp of low pitched sound redirected his attention. Yes, a tank banger would have worked but useless on the surface, and I'd have to carry something to bang the tank with.
On another dive someone got way low on air. As I was preparing to share air I gave a more prolonged and louder blast to get the DM's attention that we were going to need to ascend.
I consider the horn to be a low profile safety device.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom