What was some of your most memorable dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eastwest

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Mine was during a el Niño year which brought in tropical fish to Southern California . Wow right here at Redondo artificial reef a huge broomtail Grouper , a large sun fish and trigger fish . That was way cool

In a pool,

Watching an autistic kid go for his first “dive”.

Ten or twelve years ago on the Wall off San Salvador, Bahamas. I saw a pair of hammerheads below me and tried to get down closer to them to get good pix on my trusty Nikonos. When I noticed I had hit 138 feet, I gave it up as a bad idea and headed up!
Froggie 🐸

My most memorable dive will always be The Hardeep AKA SS Suddhadib off Samaesarn in Thailand. Just south of the Sattahip Naval Base.

It was 2002 and I was leading a group of tech divers as a fresh DM on the dive. I remember I had never seen backplates and wings and thought these guys were nuts at the time.

We dropped in and penetrated the ship. There we found light rays cascading into the wreck through the mangled bomb damage. A beautiful sight to behold. All of a sudden the lights went out. I could not figure out what was going on until I realized a whale shark was above the wreck blocking out the light.

We continued our dive out of the wreck and over to the 500lb unexploded bomb sitting in the sand off of the wreck, then proceeded up the shot line. The whale shark immediately came to us on our safety stop and was as interested in us as we were it.

After some time I broke the surface and started yelling "whale shark" at the boat. The closest person who heard me was a girl. A stranger to me at the time, who replied "Bull***t"! She then saw the massive fin breach the water and grabbed their snorkel gear to join the fun.

I wound up marrying that girl and we have been with each other since that day long ago.

I guess finding a Tritons Trumpet in Panama and a large Atlantic Deer Cowrie on a wreck deck off Alabama.
Next week's two dives will be memorable being #s 999 & 1,000. That will be here in Nova Scotia.

Dan , that hammerhead footage has me (frog) green with envy! I’ve never Ben able to get closer than 25-30 feet, and not from lack of trying! Good job.
🐸

Reactions: Dan
One of my most memorable dives was the very first dive after OW, 20 years ago. McAbee Beach in Monterey. I'm swimming along, enjoying the kelp forest, and then I feel something on top of me. Figure its another diver with buoyancy issues. However, it stays right there - doesnt move for quite a while. So I turn my head, annoyed, to tell the dude to GTF off me and I'm face to face with a harbor seal playing horsie with me. It just stares at me for awhile as Im swimming. Then, I cant help myself, I burst out laughing. All the bubbles chase it away. I wish I could have kept my composure, I would have gladly carried the dude the entire dive.

Unfortunately my most memorable dive was just this past June when I got complacent and completely failed to perform a proper pre-solo dive gear configuration check and ended up splashing with my 19cf back mounted pony 2nd stage in my cakehole rather than my primary. 10 minutes in I was 100% OOG and VERY lucky to have worked the problem.

Now my favorite "good memory" dive of all time was in the summer of 1994 where we had unusually perfect conditions and able to dive Arena Rock in Northern CA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom