What was your deepest and...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

41m/135ft on my Deep course in June last year. I have not been below about 35m since though, as the reduction in dive time makes it not really worth it. Deeper dives will come later, after deco training. I have no need to dive deep just for the sake of going deep, but a lot of the local wrecks lie in 35-50m and that is where my interest lies.

the best dive is the one without the deco stop...if you can avoid deco stop AS recreational diver do it. If you are not working as a diver...avoid it...its better for you/your body.

If you`ve been over 40meters/ 120-130 feets do US a favour and dont share that info...let the rest of the world understand that going down just to have a screenshot with some numbers on it its not really worth the trouble.

Ty.

117 ft on the Spiegel Grove wreck. My buddy and I only spent a minute or two at that depth before returning to the shallower parts of the structure and starting our ascent. Gas goes fast, and we unfortunately had AL80s. The experience of being just above the deck on a ship that big, looking up at the superstructure, was unforgettable, especially with the great visibility. Remembering it helps keep me diving now, when all I can afford is the local quarry. It was a fantastic dive and I enjoyed the challenge.

the best dive is the one without the deco stop...if you can avoid deco stop AS recreational diver do it. If you are not working as a diver...avoid it...its better for you/your body.

If you`ve been over 40meters/ 120-130 feets do US a favour and dont share that info...let the rest of the world understand that going down just to have a screenshot with some numbers on it its not really worth the trouble.

Ty.
Why avoid deco and why not mention anything about being beyond 40m? Care to elaborate?

175' to the 1st tween-deck on the San Francisco Maru in Truk Lagoon.

25min on the bottom, 40min deco on the way back up.

As other have mentioned above, depth is simply the measure of how far you need to go to see what you want to see, not the destination itself. Going deep presents logistical, gear, and skill challenges and as a diver you need to weigh these challenged and the associated risks with whether "what you're going to see" is actually worth it.

And in the case of the San Francisco Maru this is clearly the case, as there's PLENTY to see! Pictured here is one of the two battle tanks that sit on the main deck at 165'

san_francisco_maru_tank_RCarlson_1272961.jpg

I've been to the 150-160 mark often enough that I feel comfortable diving to those depths as long as I'm not doing anything complicated but most of my regular buddies are reluctant to dive deep air. They either don't like it or don't have the skills/gear for it. I only make a handful of dives that deep anymore but I still go to 120-130 fairly regularly just for a change of pace. In Holland it's hard to get much deeper than that without a shovel anyway....

In terms of finding interesting things, I think it's safe to say that deepish wrecks are great fun to dive but most of the time you'll see more if you dive shallow. In terms of marine life, there usually isn't anything very spectacular once you get deep that you can't see better when you're shallow.

As for the longest, I don't really know. I make lots of shallow dives of about 90 minutes. I recall one that was 122 min but I don't remember if that was my longest one or not. Lots of people make longer dives than that. My longest deep dive was 87 minutes and I spent 37 minutes mid-water decompressing. Where I usually dive there's nothing to see in mid water except your own hands.

R..

I can see Walters point ... with new divers, and those not yet certified, there is a keen interest in "how deep have you gone" and when still a new diver, that fascination could lead to reckless dives.

For me, one time to 100ft for AOW, then a bunch of dives in the 60 to 90ft range, and my favorite .. Dived a WWII wreck, the Baja California in the gulf, my first real shipwreck ... 107ft

142 fsw.

Every trip to Cozumel we do a dive on San Francisco or Santa Rosa down to 130 to look at the giant gorgonians....there are some really long sea whips down there. On one dive there was a big nurse shark under a ledge, and a photographer dropped down to take a shot....I went down to get him and give him the no-no finger wave, point at the computer....hit 142 doing that.

115-120 or so in Buford Spring what an incredible cavern

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom