What went wrong on your dive today/recently? And what did you learn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to propose an alternate hypothesis:

@UofMI_Divegeek and his student had a fill with some CO or CO2 present on their first dive. This was improperly attributed to the study that we can't find.

Later, @UofMI_Divegeek went on a second dive with air, and did not have a contaminated fill, thus causing him to commit a Type-2 error.

Discuss.
While exceedingly rare, the chances THIS happened are infinity more likely than symptomatic increased CO2 retention due to the infinitesimal increase in gas density from 21% O2 to... What was it? 32%?

While exceedingly rare, the chances THIS happened are infinity more likely than symptomatic increased CO2 retention due to the infinitesimal increase in gas density from 21% O2 to... What was it? 32%?
Thank God it wasn't 100% O2 or they might have never survived!

This discussion of CO2, rebreathers, etc is all very interesting, but appears to have derailed the thread. Perhaps someone should create a new thread?

So went on a dive the other night, very quickly learned that my AI transmitter was not working at all. It indicated it was working but nothing shown on the computer (Ration Idive Easy). Thankfully still have Cressi digi 2 on the other HP port so no worries other than confusion. Still not 100% sure what went wrong with the transmitter / computer, but lesson learned, always good to have redundancy in to your set up where you can. Dive plan and gas usage was spot on so had no real concerns with running out of gas at all

On yesterday's dive at the quarry my buddy and I frequent, we took along kitchen scrub brushes for our final deco stop. We staged the brushes at a training platform, and once we got there, we killed time and ran down our deco scouring off the accumulated algae.

Lots of crud came off, and we did our best to wave it away. But of course, a goodly amount of loose algae rained back down onto the platform's surface. That annoyed me. So I decided, "hey, I'm wearing big-ass tech fins that move lots of water, so all I need to do is flutter-kick vigorously as I swim overtop, and I'll blast all that crud to kingdom come."

Yeaaaaah... When I put that plan into action, the backs of both my legs, from the thighs down through the calves, all the way to the ankles, spasmed into a single massive cramp.

Lesson learned: Don't do that again.

On yesterday's dive at the quarry my buddy and I frequent, we took along kitchen scrub brushes for our final deco stop. We staged the brushes at a training platform, and once we got there, we killed time and ran down our deco scouring off the accumulated algae.

Lots of crud came off, and we did our best to wave it away. But of course, a goodly amount of loose algae rained back down onto the platform's surface. That annoyed me. So I decided, "hey, I'm wearing big-ass tech fins that move lots of water, so all I need to do is flutter-kick vigorously as I swim overtop, and I'll blast all that crud to kingdom come."

Yeaaaaah... When I put that plan into action, the backs of both my legs, from the thighs down through the calves, all the way to the ankles, spasmed into a single massive cramp.

Lesson learned: Don't do that again.
Take a scooter next time and clip it to the platform. Then you just hammer the trigger and let it go the work.

Yesterday managed to get hooked by a fisherman who was very determined to land the 235 lb fish he thought he had, line tangled into the spring strap on my Recons, I ready dislike springs for this very reason. After a good 5 minute fight I either broke the line or he cut it before losing it all?

muck water conditions, dark and green, the line was green so I couldn’t see it until I walked out.
IMG_3004.jpeg
IMG_3003.jpeg
IMG_3002.jpeg

I learned not to use springs if I can help it.

A line cutter on the underside of your computer(s) and compass strap is good. Quick to get at in an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom