what were your first certifications?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the PADI scuba diver course in 1984 (before the SCUBA Diver - Openwater Diver split).

The next certification was not until 1996 when I was certified as a commercial diver. PADI Advanced Open Water, and NAUI Master Diver were received after two college quarters of scuba classes around 1998.

I quess that is 12 years professionally and 14 years recreationally.

Does that answer the question?

YMCA Scuba Diver 1972

PADI AOW 2001-A card to protect dive boat operators from lawyers

TDI Online Nitrox 2003

OW June 01
AOW June 02
Rescue July 03
Wreck Oct. 03
Ice Feb. 04
Divemaster Aug. 04
Drysuit Oct. 05
EAN (Nitrox) Mar. 07
EFR Instructor June 07

Really should take something. Haven't had a class since 07

PADI Basic Diver Spring 1979
After that the memory fades on when I did or learned what. :eek:)

NAUI OW in 1989, PADI Advanced 3 1/2 years later. Free diving before that. I wouldn't have taken any additional classes except for the fact that my PADI Instructor gave me free classes from Advanced through AI for helping out with his OW classes for a couple of years and helping him move twice.

ow jan '05
aow sept '05
nitrox oct '05
cavern/intro to cave feb '06
intro to tech march '06
apprentice/full cave/advanced nitrox jan '09
deco procedures sept '09

that's all i can think of off the top of my head...

2 for me---PADI OW in '85 & Advanced in '86, afterwards?--a lot of on the job training...........I kept it real simple.....

NAUI OW/Nitrox
6 month gap
NAUI Rescue
4 month gap
NAUI AI/DM
6 month gap
Full cave

We push divers through pretty quick in our program, but they are diving twice a week for 16 weeks for each certification. After rescue we're required to volunteer for the open water classes in order to gain leadership, which is another 2 days of diving a week. Works out well for us.
Does that mean that we're ready to go out and lead dives. For most recreational standards, absolutely. For what we do, no, but it gives us the opportunity to work with the Rescue classes and what not, while we're still learning.

Our coaches preach that we need to understand our limits and although we are certified, that doesn't mean we should do it. I have full cave, and various deco certs, but does that mean I'm going to do a 300' dive way in the back of a blue hole tomorrow? No way in hell.
But, the agencies say I can. Biggest thing is knowing your own limits and accepting them. Pushing them is one thing, but don't give them a shove

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom