What would U do? I packed up...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jersey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Long post...By history, my SO & I have been together on & off since 1988. First time for 4 years, we were young (mid-20's) & he liked other girls a bit too much, so I broke it off (we never lived together). I got married to someone else, that didn't work & we reconnected as a couple in 2001. In 2004 I moved into his house. I thought things were going well. We both have incredible jobs, no debt, no kids, one labrador retriever, share many of the same interests, but each also have separate interests.

In July he disappeared for a weekend. Friday @ 5:00 said he was going to the dive shop to get a new pair of fins, then to his office to check email as he had been off all week. At 9:30 I got a text -'...something came up, be home Sunday night.' Yes, I freaked, called, sent text to no avail. (Stopped at 1 call, 1 text, I am not psycho) Sunday night at 11:15 he strolled throught the door like nothing happened. Would not answer questions, except to say there are things I'm best not to know. Swore up & down there was not another woman, but wouldn't answer questions.

Things got back to fine. Last week he informed me he was going to a retreat Saturday into Sunday, starting therapy, wanted to be open & honest with me, offered to let me read about the retreat. Sunday he came home, we watched football, pretty normal. Monday morn I went off to work. He works 6p to 2a, so he was not home when I arrived. I generally wake around 3a when he gets home & Monday night was no exception. Except 3 came & 4..5..6. At 6:30 I called his office - no answer, call his cell -it's turned off, page him - no reply. At noon he texts spent night at friends, no worry. At 3a he does come home, I'm still awake. He doesn't want to pick a fight, just wants to sleep & off he goes to bed. I certainly can't sleep, pull on my suit, grab the dog & we spend the night driving. Dog & I went to work, I called my ex- to take the dog, packed up enough clothes to get me through the next month, left him a very nice supportive note & went to a single girlfriend with a big house. (He had started the wash before he left as Wednesday is sheets & towels day. I was kind enough to fold the laundry & put fresh sheets on the bed. I am that nice.)

My heart is breaking. :( After almost 20 years I thought we were beyond this. I'm not the drama type, I'd rather talk than scream, nor am I the type to run from problems, but feel I can't win. And it doesn't appear at this juncture he wants to communicate with me. I can't live day to day wondering if he is coming home, or if he's injured or worse. I don't know if this was his intended consequence or not, but to give you an idea this is kind of outta-da-blu 3 weeks ago he booked & paid for our early 2008 dive trip to some warm wonderful island we both love. And yes, being a trust but verify girl, I checked with the dive shop, we are both signed up, our names are on the air tickets & he paid the bill in full. I am so full of pain & confusion...

What would you have done? (Other than call your therapist & make an appointment.)

I'm a proponent of therapy for life, consider myself a work in progress & find it easier to pay a professional to discuss my problems & issues rather than rely on friends who have their own set of issues. And yes, I have an apt with my therapist Sat morn... Until then I'd welcome thoughts & comments.

If that had happened to me, I would have done the same. The disappearing is one thing; the refusal to talk about it makes it unbearable. I don't see why an explanation is a fight. But dynamics are different for all relationships.

I'm so sorry for you.

By the way, I would go on the dive trip, if it were me. No reason to let him take someone else.

I'm a proponent of therapy for life,

bad plan.

if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck....

people do not change because you are going to therapy. I would not go on the trip, nor would I risk waking up someday with this man as the father to my child,-- totally unacceptable.
The best predictor of the future, is the past. Get the man you want, don't try and make the man you want from the wrong protoplasm.

My best guess is that he set the trip up to appease his conscience about something. He does not want to talk because he does not want to lie.

Dump that chump.

There are to many guys out there who are considerate to be with one who isn't.

From my "man about town point of view and vengeful side" I would tell him I was going on the trip and then miss the plane...but I may be unique in this perspective.

It would keep him on the hook until take off, and then he would have the rest of the trip to deal with it.

But some people think I am a bit aggressive in my approach to life's obstructions.

Move on, a leopard does not change spots...

Best of luck...

I don't even know you, but I am absolutely sure that you deserve better.

Everyone has the right to be treated fairly and with respect - and what he's doing is not acceptable in a relationship. It's up to you to build the self esteem to not accept his behaviour - not just now, but in the future.

Regardless of whatever it is that keeps drawing the two of you together, the same things that are drawing you apart will likely keep drawing you apart. You deserve to find someone who makes you happy and that you can trust. If that means being on your own for a while, you can do that too. :)

from 1988 to 2007.... 19 years and you are left with no home, only enough clothes for a month, no family dog and you are nearly if not already 40yrs old (havent looked at your profile) looking back on all of this.... if it was me i would be PEEVED and wondering if i have wasted good years of my life!!!!!!!!

why did you decide that you were the one that had to leave? why not pack his bags and say "theres the door and it will still be there for you to walk thru if you want to share with me what the heck is going on so we can work on it together"

i wish you the best but you need to reclaim your own power as it seems to me that you put him first and woman to woman... you need to be your own best friend right now.

good luck... there is no easy answers but i hope you sort out the best outcome for yourself as possible

In July he disappeared for a weekend. Friday @ 5:00 said he was going to the dive shop to get a new pair of fins, then to his office to check email as he had been off all week. At 9:30 I got a text -'...something came up, be home Sunday night.' Yes, I freaked, called, sent text to no avail. (Stopped at 1 call, 1 text, I am not psycho) Sunday night at 11:15 he strolled throught the door like nothing happened. Would not answer questions, except to say there are things I'm best not to know. Swore up & down there was not another woman, but wouldn't answer questions.

It might be another woman, it might be another guy, or it might be he got convicted of something and has to do weekends or who knows what. Doesn't really matter. If he doesn't want to tell you, chances are excellent you really don't want to know.

Take your stuff and the dog and leave, find a new place and send him a "don't ever contact me" email (in that order). Be happy about the good stuff you had, ignore the bad stuff, and find someone else to dive with.

Stop down to the dive shop and tell them you want credit for a different trip (probably won't get it, but it doesn't hurt to ask).

There's no way in h*** you should be traveling or diving with this guy. If you can't trust your buddy on land at home, underwater in another country is out of the question. Although this is probably overly suspicious, you wouldn't want to volunteer to become an "accident victim". The world is full of nut-jobs.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom