What would you do if a Great White started circling you and were far from the boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackknife

Reaction score
My dive buddy who has 18 years diving experience tells me that he would swim toward the Great White. He believes from his readings, and discussion with other experienced divers over the last 10 years is that the animal would get confused and hopefully take off. They are not used to being chased, but the one chasing.

He suggest to also stay near the sea bottom if at all possible, and surface to the boat only when exiting.

My AOW instructor said he would purge his regulator big time, and make himself look huge by waving his arms and legs, almost spread eagle.

Any of you agree to this?

What if any of you have done to stay alive when this predator has gotten close?

I like the potential of the Shark Pod as a deterent but I know nothing about it.

i think i'd attack the shark and strangle it...:D

i dont know, hope the best i guess, i'll solve that problem when i run into one :wacko:

Tuck my head between my legs and kiss my xxx goodbye?

Ok...end comment from peanut gallery :eek:utahere:

about cutting your buddy and getting the hell out of there. but seriously, i've heard from a couple of divers in south africa who encountered great whites and they did not appear to be interested in bubble blowers. of course, there was no chumming involved. in general from what i have read a great white circling you is not what usually occurs as a prelude to an attack. they like to ambush prey from below at high speeds. you won't see them before they hit. therefore, when you see one it is probably not interested in eating you. your best bet might be to calmly pee your pants, refrain from taking too many pictures with your strobe charging, stay near the bottom and retreat in the direction of the boat.
btw, have you seen this guy snorkeling with great whites on the discovery channel? certainly takes some nerve, especially when you are the first one to try it.

You'd be dead anyway but if I didn't freak out and panic, I'd descend and wait on the bottom. Last resort would be to remove my bc and use my tank as a barrier.

back up against a rock on the bottom, I have read that they like to attack from below and behind. If it gets too close I'd purge the hell out of my reg and try to stay as deep as possible. if that doesn't work draw my little 2 inch knife and get ready for a fight because at that point it's either him or me.

who have experienced a close encounter with a great white, the feedback I get is that they are curious but not aggressive here off Catalina. Others have seen them in other waters including South Africa and not had any problem.

If I had plenty of air, I'd drop to depth and observe from there... or I'd have my eye fixed on my camcorder viewfinder to get some outstanding footage. Of course the only time I'd see one would be when I'm diving without my camera!

Dr. Bill

warhammer:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom