What would you do if a Great White started circling you and were far from the boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

search button at the top of this page. In the space provide for search criteria type in trip report 7/8/10----on the left hand space. In the space for author of the thread type in Rick Murchison.

The thread is in the North America section and was posted by Rick on 7/10/01.

I've been diving and had a GW come by and take a look at me (damn wish i had the wide angle instead of the macro :( ) and I guess my opinion is that if she (yes she was close enough to id very easily) really wanted to eat me, there was seriously nothing I could do about it. Initially I would say I was hyperventillating for a while and then eventually the hysteria was replaced with a calm feeling and my brain telling me "forget it ..I'm dead meat I'll just enjoy the last few moments admiring this animal". Maybe that was what saved me? Cos I just relaxed and enjoyed the show for what it was worth....and it was definitely worth it...incredible animal with an incredible presence!!
My $.02
Safe diving all
Sillago

Simple. Swim towards the shark in an aggressive manner. At this point the shark will head straight for you, with his mouth wide open. Show no fear, and keep swimming. As you enter his mouth, reach way back into it, grab his tail from the inside and turn the shark inside out. Voila!

Almost 90% Of Great White shark attack survivors state that they had not seen the shark prior to the attack, thus if you were to see one chances are you all ready have a good chance of survival, it has probably seen you, and deciced it wasn't interested well before you spotted it. If possible descend to the bottom, back up against a solid structure such as a rock and keep eye contact with the shark at all times. Once safe ascend and get out of the water as quick as possible. That's what I'm told you should do, As to what I would do in reality, probably cry like a baby and dirty the inside of my wetsuit. I've seen Bronze whalers around South Australia, and they are about as large a shark as I would like to encounter (other then a whale or basking shark of course)

besides sitting back and enjoying the scenery...

great whites tend to attack closer to the surface, so it's best to stay low...if your in shallow water, well than you're kinda screwed :)

as far as acting crazy waving our arms and legs, that'll more than likely intimidate it, so it's best to stay calm...just remember, hundreds of fish swim by these things without getting eaten...so it probably won't attack you.

I know this from learning how to film sharks...like tigers here, yet I still haven't seen one :-(

I've heard that being vin an upright, vertical position is a better idea than being in a horizontal position as you are less likely to be mistaken for a fish (I guess you might also look less like a shark). If possible, I would deploy a safety sausage in order to get the boat closer to me faster than I could get to the boat. If the shark was apporaching, I wonder too if it might be a good idea to extend your feet to the shark with an extended ankle, hoping that if the shark really did try to nip you, it would get a mouth full of rubber rather than meat. Even a few toes or a foot would be tetter than, oh...a liver and rib.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
Simple. Swim towards the shark in an aggressive manner. At this point the shark will head straight for you, with his mouth wide open. Show no fear, and keep swimming. As you enter his mouth, reach way back into it, grab his tail from the inside and turn the shark inside out. Voila!

What a dick, that sure was funny, ahhahahah:HAHAHA:

I LOVE Braunbehrens reply...too funny!

If I saw a GW, of course I would not have my camera...but if i did, I would get down low...look up and take as many shots as possible, hopefully with the sun giving a nice shadow on a few. Of couse with all my shots, the animal would speed away and I would only get the rear end of it...but one can only hope to get a face view with it saying "cheese" and smiling appropriately as my camera went off.

Back
Top Bottom