What would YOU do if the first mate on your charter was a Gilligan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thiad brought up the small dive community and they talk, its the rest of the divers that are not in the community(vaca divers,new divers) that came on this charter and have given there trust to the crew that will cause them to not be comfortable and enjoy there diving. That hurts the dive community in whole so to tell gilligan this is diving not skiing is very good point to bring up.

I'd find Ginger and take her down to my cabin.
Like a couple of others above, I'd ignore Ginger. Mary Ann was the hot one on that boat. Not that she'd look at me.

Seriously, this is not quite the same as your experience, but I dived at Cape Eleuthera Resort. Very small dive operation. One person was captain, DM, instructor, and dive shop manager. No other crew. He was friendly and courteous. But the equipment was faulty (a family renting gear got a leaky BC and a computer that didn't work) the fills were low, departures were always late. The family had arranged to get AOW classes for their kids, and the guy kept telling them, Yes, we'll get to it," but never did. The day I was the only client, at the end of the dive he sent me up alone while he remained another ten minutes at the bottom doing something with the anchor. On another day, he took us through a swim-through that came out at 95 feet without ever having told us beforehand. I had previously told him that I had set myself a personal limit of 80 feet, so he should have known to warn me he was going to go deeper than I wanted to. Three of the five divers that day were OW, not AOW. My last day of diving he promised to hang my gear up to dry and return early the next morning to retrieve it for me. He hung it in an area with no roof, but with a locked gate. When it started to rain the next morning I phoned him and he said he was not coming in. I had to search for a maintenance man to open the gate for me, and flew home with wet gear.

I will never dive there again. I sent an email to the resort.

Thank goodness where I Dive that would have been instantly sackable behaviour. If not I would take my bussiness elsewhere, & advise others accordingly.

I get a kick out of deckies on dive boats that call themselves first mates.

First mate is actually a coast guard license like master of a vessel (captain) 1060 days at sea or graduation from a maritime academy is the minimum for a third mate, 360 sea days after that they can take tests and apply for a second mates ticket, 360 sea days after obtaining a second mates ticket they can take tests for ther first mates ticket.

Next time a dive boat deckie claims to be a first mate, ask to see his ticket.

The Skipper is in charge. The Sipper is responsible for what the crew does. The Skipper is responsible for selecting, managing and disciplining the crew. It is not a guest's duty or right to direct or discipline the crew or to make comments when a crew member is a Gilligan. Address issues to the Skipper and let the Skipper deal with the crew. The primary exception is when you like and are friendly with a crew member and can competently suggest a better way of doing something.

I get a kick out of deckies on dive boats that call themselves first mates.

First mate is actually a coast guard license like master of a vessel (captain) 1060 days at sea or graduation from ...

I hear what you are saying, but on the other hand these words can be used to signify roles as well as official licenses. If I go out sailing for the day with some friends, one person needs to be the captain. That does not necessarily mean they are a licensed captain; it can mean they are fulfilling the role of captain.

If a particular (dive) boat does not require a licensed first mate, but someone is fulfilling that role, I could see them using the term to describe that role.

It's kind of like if there is an official "Dive Leader" certification in an agency; that doesn't mean that someone leading a dive can't rightfully call themselves the dive leader.

I'm not excusing self-important Gilligans, mind you :wink:, nor people who would lie about official credentials.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom