What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Do

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm a tad frustrated, and looking for options beyond my bull-in-a-china-shop instinct. I prefer SSI instruction to PADI (i've tried both); however, I have problems with the SSI shop. I signed up (and paid) to take stress and rescue in May. I showed up for the class, but was told that it had been postponed (this had happened to me once before with another class). I rescheduled and talked to the instructor about when the open water portion of the class was going to occur. I took the class and was supposed to do the open water portion, per agreement, this weekend. I have been calling the shop for three days to confirm this, but was told that I needed to talk to the instructor. Late last night he left a message suggesting that he had left me a prior message (he did not) informing me that the class was continued to sometime in August, but he could not recall the date. His message instructed me to call the shop. Today I called the shop and the person I had been talking to for the past two days knew nothing about it. She then called the instructor and called me back to inform me that as I was the only person signed up for s&r this weekend they had to post-pone the class, but that there would be a large group August 2-3. I am otherwise engaged that weekend. I was told that I had to work out a date with the instructor. So, three months ago, I paid my money and still have no prospect of getting the open water portion. By the way, I have had this instructor before and really like him and like diving with him. I could just wait and hope that something opens up, but I'd like to demand my money back, but there is no other SSI shop for two hours. There is a PADI and a NAUI shop in town. Thoughts?
thanks,
Scuba Do

Totally aside from your or my preference for certifying agency, I think your LDS has made a real strong statement to you ... "We aren't interested in being responsible or dependable" ... or at least, that's what I get out of it. I think they have "told" you to go elsewhere for your instruction ... whether you choose to change agencies or take a nice long drive. I hope they are good to work with regarding your funds.

I was told I was the only student and the shop would have to reschedule. I told the manager that I had arraigned to be off for the six Wednesdays necessary to take this class. They could either give me a full refund or run the class with me alone, they chose to run the class privately with additional students making fill in classes from the previous session. I know the instructor is trying to maximize students to ease the cost of running the class but that is not always reasonable for the students.

I can empathize with you. I think this happens more often than not, and it has nothing to do with the quality of the instructor. I guess I would not pay for a course, until I am guaranteed that it will be carried out.

I've had it happened to me with my rescue class, and ended up taking another one instead. I agree with you, it seems like our local SSI runs a more intense, more indepth course. I took PADI's instead, as it was convenient, and we did all the skills in one weekend.

Just one look at the LA county class having it run over several months, with consecutive weekends.... Probably 95% of us recreational divers would not make it. But I guess that is the price you'll have to pay to take the class that you want. Good luck.

im more inclined to lean towards your "bull in a china shop" reference. they did give you the next available date though. so, what i would do would be to try to work something out with the instructor for a time around that date. if that doesnt work however, well....id turn the bull loose! honestly i think they are just dinking you around, and id take my hard earned money elsewhere.

If you paid with a credit card and are willing to cut bait with that LDS, dispute the charge. Your LDS has probably substantially changed the contract you agreed to enough to get your money back.

I know that the LDS has its problems in getting a minimum number of students, but you also have a right to a reasonable time for them to complete your training. Get out of the middle of this and let the LDS fight with your credit card.

Just to add my 2 cents, the certifying agency really doesn't matter that much IMHO.

It all really boils down to the instructor and the shop, and if it was me, I would probably be looking for another of both.

You need to make some kind of decision.

I don't know the particulars, or what you were told about the shop's policy on under-subscribed courses, (which is a common problem) so I can't tell you who's right or wrong here. It does seem that the shop is somwhat disorganized or has poor internal communication.

If you really like this instructor, try to communicate only with him directly, and see if you can work out a date. Otherwise move on, assuming the shop refunds for cancelled/rescheduled courses. Don't get too focused on SSI/PADI/NAUI affiliation, it's the individual instructor that counts and they vary far more than the agncies or their curriculum. Good luck, dF

I was the only one in my Deco class, but my Instructor had no problem with that at all. He and his wife drove 250 miles to Santa Rosa NM a day early to take care of his responsibility with me and we did our dives, then the next day he hooked up with his other classes. I offered to reschedule myself; he wasn't interested. It is nice to have a responsible Inst; hope you find one soon.

I had a very similar experience when I was going to take my Dive Master course. Although I still have an immense amount of respect for my old instructor, I had to move on. It hurts me a bit, with the price of gas, because her shop is only about 10 min. from my house & the shop I go to now is an hour away. Anyway back to the story, Last year I was planning on going through my Dive Master class with my original instructor. I was told it was to begin in Jan. & finish up in the spring (the open water stuff would be held off until the waters warmed up). So in Nov. I decided to go ahead & purchase my study materials. I checked up in Dec. to make sure things were still a "go". I'm glad I did. when I stopped by, the instructor said that the class was being postponed until late April/ early May, because there where some high school senior students wanting to go through the course & they wouldn't be out of school until that time. I thought for a moment,..... "OK" I guess I can deal with a few more months, no biggie, other than I had turned down a chance at work to do some special project work. In March I went back in to inquire on the class again. The instructor told me that now the class was being postponed until Sept. because one of the high shool students didn't turn 18yrs old until then. Well,... now that irritated me a bit. I was, at the time had taken a Nitrox course (my original instructor did not offer this) & was currently in an Adv. Nitrox & Deco Procedure class (she also did not offer any technical or extended range courses either). I happened to be in the Adv. Nitrox class found out that the instructor there was offering a Dive Con class in early July (it was June then). I told him my situation & he said he had room in the Dive Con class. So I told him to sign me up, I was tired of waiting. Anyway, the next week or so, I ran into my original instructor. She asked if I was still going to take the Dive Master class with her. I told her "no", that I had found another class & was going to go that way. I could tell she wasn't happy about losing me to her competition, but I explained to her that I could not keep putting my life on hold waiting for her class. She told me she understood & that a couple others had gone to look elsewhere to take the course. I just can't wrap my mind around holding off a class for 1 or 2 other students, when you have others who are ready to go, but anyway, that's not my call. Although I now have to travel much further to get to my dive shop, I have found a niche there & am quite happy. I do not easily switch loyalties & never without a just cause. So, I understand where you are coming from. It sound like in the case of your dive shop, there is a serious lack of communication between the instructor & the dive shop. It may just be their way, I don't know. but I can say that you're not the first nor will you be the last to have that happen to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom