Whatever happened to the Curacao wildlife report?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But first let me pass along this tidbit I just heard.
Fishermen know things. Yeah right, even I knew about Tropical Storm Omar and not one of them predicted that it would stay off shore for 3 days. Bygones....
The fishermen are now saying that something big is going to happen on the 12th. Disclaimer: this might be island time so we'll just say sometime around the 12th. Maybe a couple of days before hand, maybe a couple of days after... A few of them have already taken their boats to Santa Marta Bay (they remember Omar). I don't know what they expect but gosh darn it, I'll have extra beer on hand in case we get stranded in Westpunt. If we lose power for 2 days (remember Omar?) it'll just be warm beer :) We had an extremely mild hurricane season with almost no rain at all. These past few months, the rainy season, again almost no rain. It'll be exciting to see a storm. Just my luck with an outdoor restaurant it will hit on the weekend and folks will still show for dinner. No problem, pizza it is!
I'll keep you updated....

FWIW: the rumour goes that a prophetess from the Dominican Republic predicted a tsunami that will hit the island on the 12th.
K.

Is Curacao still there?

I landed on the island in the middle of hurricane omar (sorry, tropical depression no. 16 as it was officially known then) and it was my experience thereafter that the fishermen would, with the merest hint of a puff of wind, call it a day and instead play it safe by hanging out on the beach and not run the risk of actually doing some work.

Happy times - take it easy folks!

C.

Oh Senor Crowley, we miss you.... :(

Good job Mr Crowley is tougher than us wimps that live and dive the Southern Caribbean, as he's seeing some seriously cool stuff in Egypt BUT there's still plenty of cool stuff for the spotting here in Curacao too:

- For the latest cool sightings in Curacao check out The Dive Bus facebook page: The Dive Bus, Curacao | Facebook (Yeah facebook can be annoying but there's not enough hours in the day to update all the forums and websites. Sorry... but if you can do better, DO IT!!!! Especially you local Curacao divers - you know who you are, John, Robet, Donald...!)

- Or - speaking of annoying - or sign up to The Dive Bus on http:/www.Twitter.com

Quick catch up on Curacao wildlife report: (bribe The Dive Bus Crew for specific directions on how to spot...):
- frogfish at Pierbaai Reef ... been there for ages now, but for eagle eyes only
- southern stingrays at Pierbaai Reef
- spotted eagle rays galore at just about every site where Suzy ISN'T diving :(
- seahorses at Directors Bay and Tugboat
- HUGE turtle who loves divers at Watamula just the other day...
- SERIOULSY cool nudibranch at Superior Producer (go here for photo (not ours)): Christmas Tree Hydroid Nudibranch (Learchis poica) on Flickr - Photo Sharing!)

Happy hunting, guys - it's all here for the seeing, you just gotta be in the right place at the right time , or know where to look...

Enjoy!

All best
Suzy
The Dive Bus - HOME

We have been seeing Snooks underneath the pier at Playa Kalki almost on every dive for more than 2 weeks now; I thought them to not exist around Curacao before...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom