Whatever happened to the Curacao wildlife report?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andreas, I have seen Snooks some years ago at the Car Pile (Dive Bus reef); I agree, they are quite rare. Yesterday my buddy and I found a large Moray Eel resting under the pier at Baya. The eel is at least 6 feet long; apparently I disturbed him because he started to look for shelter; seeing this large eel swimming was quite an impressive sight. Where he found it I have seen him several times before, so it is a regular guest. This was the first time that I saw him swimming free. YouTube - Large Green Moray Eel at Baya, Curacao, Netherlands Antilles

Alan, the 12th went by and nothing happened at sea. So far for predictions.
On land the carnival bursted out, so come on down here.
I'm coming...
I'll be on the Island by the end of the week and I just can't wait!
Diving With Andreas and his folks up and OEW
AND we are booked to do the Open Water Dolphin dive next week. It's just so hard to keep that as a secret from my wife.
Alan

Kukuisa and Andreas
I'll admit I'm not very good at fish ID, I had to look up the Snook but I've seen silvery fish with a black stripe. I can't remember the slope of the head. What fish might I have seen, maybe only a foot to a foot and a half long?

PS You're right John, I too missed this thread especially when there are photos attached.

I agree...we need photos.

Conch snails are getting more and more extinct and only small ones can be still be found, so we were pleasantly surprised when we saw a very large one with a thick shell.

3830%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Saw a Flying Gurnard (Dactylopterus volitans) today in the shallow.
He was not flying, but searching for food in the sand by using the ventral fins.

(of course had no camera with me)
We saw this near the pier at Alice in Wonderland back in August.

sea_robin2.jpg

At first we thought it was a flying gurnard, but were told that Curacao didn't have them and it must be a sea robin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom