whats a good non spilt fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adrenalinerush

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to be starting class in about 2 wks and people have recommanded the twin jet to me and I have read most of the post regarding them and they for the most part get good reviews. But since I have nothing to compare them myself what is a good non ( I think regular) spilt fin ( twin jets are spilts, right?) all around? is there such a thing? I know that fins are a personal choice but there has to be (like all things) fin that usually is agreed as good even though it's not for them.

did I make sense in what I am asking?

There are a lot of people on here who swear by Scubapro Jets. Not Twin Jets, just plain old Jets.

They do so with good reason.

It would be hard to find a more comfortable or efficient fin for a new diver than the Scubapro Twinjet, which is a split fin.

If you are going to give into the pressure from the folks who hate split fins, and are willing to kick a little harder and get a few more leg cramps, then a couple good choices for non-split fins would be the Scubapro Jet, Avanti Quattro, or CressiSub Rondine.

You are about to get 30 or 40 additional suggestions, eventually you will have to trust someone in your local store and just buy something. None of the major brands make a "bad" fin, so don't worry too much about it.

theskull

Adrenalinerush:
I am going to be starting class in about 2 wks and people have recommanded the twin jet to me and I have read most of the post regarding them and they for the most part get good reviews. But since I have nothing to compare them myself what is a good non ( I think regular) spilt fin ( twin jets are spilts, right?) all around? is there such a thing? I know that fins are a personal choice but there has to be (like all things) fin that usually is agreed as good even though it's not for them.

Jet fins are time-tested ... and there's a reason why the design hasn't changed in 30 years.

I noticed you're in Chicago ... are you planning to dive the lakes? If so, do you plan to use a drysuit? If so, then make sure you get a fin that'll fit a drysuit boot. Standard size Jets have a relatively narrow foot pocket ... except for the XXL's which are HUGE.

An alternative is IDI Turtles ... similar to Jets, but a bit wider and shorter. Also a great performing fin.

Best part of these two fins is that they're about two-thirds the price of your average split fin ... they both perform very well for power and maneuverability ... and they're both built to last.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Adrenalinerush:

I have three pairs of jet or jetlike fins. For the money, they are tough to beat.

Make sure they fit whatever exposure protection you are using. My three sets are for different suits.

If you want to mess with other types of fins later, you will have a great set of fins to fall back on if the whiz-bang fins are not making it.

Adrenalinerush:

Twin jets is split fins. I am looking for split fins for myself too, I am leaning toward to Apollo Bio fins, here is the link about it: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BioFins

What I have heard about it - it is the best all around.

Good luck!

wildmtn:
Twin jets is split fins. I am looking for split fins for myself too, I am leaning toward to Apollo Bio fins, here is the link about it: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BioFins

What I have heard about it - it is the best all around.

Good luck!

Biofins are good fins ... I used a pair for a long time. There is no "best all around" fin though ... it depends on what's important to you in terms of diving style.

Splits in general ... and Biofins in particular ... are good for basic recreational diving. You can get a lot of "go" for little effort. However, as with all split-designs, they have limitations when (or if) you want to progress to the point where you want a repertoire of fin kicks suitable for different conditions. You will be able to achieve a reasonable sculling kick in splits, but it's not as efficient as a non-split. Nor can it be, due to the inherent design of the fin.

Same goes for helicopter turns and reverse kicks ... although very few people can get any kind of reverse (even an ineffective one) out of a split fin.

Additionally, if you're looking to eventually get into tech diving, no tech agency that I'm aware of will let you take a class in splits ... they're strictly for recreational diving.

Just some things to consider ... splits are fine for the basic rec diver who just wants to tour. But if you have aspirations of going further with your diving, you're better off considering that in your early purchases.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Jet fins are great. A more modern fin with better footpockets is the Mares Avanti Quattro.

As for other split fins, Atomic split fins are considered very good too, and is a good compromise between splits and non-splits. (efficient yet with good control)

I normally use jet fins with my wet suit and Plana Avanti's with my dry suit (larger and wider foot pocket than my XL Jet fins). Both are very good in terms of power as long as you have the legs for it and both are very maneuverable fins that perform a wide range of kicks very well. The Jet fins are, in my opinion, more efficient and less tiring than the Avanti's but offer a bit less thrust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom