What's a good step-up from GoPro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arneu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Starting to research equipment is dangerous for the wallet :) But after diving with GoPro and no video light (just small general backup light) for a while, and trying to make videos out of it, I'm pretty sure I want to take the next step on my scuba video journey. Here is an example (but I also often dive in more difficult visibility/light conditions than this).

I started looking for better video lights, but now I'm questioning the GoPro as well. My issues with the GoPro are (besides lights) first and foremost white balance (even with Flip filters), focus, low light performance (Hero3+ Black) and then image quality.

My equipment preference in general is 'less is more' - as minimal, tight and low profile as possible. And possible to buckle everything up, on the harness or arm. GoPro is a good fit for this, but I fear the large SLR/Camcorder trays with huge house and double long arm video lights. Budget is less concern than this actually.

So, any recommendations on what to look for as a possible step-up that can make a difference? Someone strongly recommended the new mirror-less cameras. And many people seem to say dual lights are more or less mandatory. So, is it a pipe dream to keep this compact?

All advice and opinions greatly appreciated!

With the right settings a GoPro can produce great video even in total darkness. Lightning is going to be key. Both the color of the light and how diffused it is. It needs to illuminate out far enough that the camera is able to find a point of focus but also be far enough away from the lens that it doesn't just focus on the bright particulate floating in front of the camera. A light tray with adjustable position light holders would be a great place to start. Options for lights are are almost limitless and there are many factors to consider such as depth rating, battery type and burn time, light color/temperature, focus vs flood vs adjustable, brightness as well as different brightness settings.

Here's an example

Where do you normally dive? Do you know of anyone in your area who is successfully taking video/stills who would be willing to work with you and help get you set up with something appropriate for your type of diving?

Remember when you start filming not to forget about the basics and keep an eye on your breathing gas. Stay safe and happy diving!

Last edited:
With the right settings a GoPro can produce great video even in total darkness. Lightning is going to be key. Both the color of the light and how diffused it is. It needs to illuminate out far enough that the camera is able to find a point of focus but also be far enough away from the lens that it doesn't just focus on the bright particulate floating in front of the camera. A light tray with adjustable position light holders would be a great place to start. Options for lights are are almost limitless and there are many factors to consider such as depth rating, battery type and burn time, light color/temperature, focus vs flood vs adjustable, brightness as well as different brightness settings.

Where do you normally dive? Do you know of anyone in your area who is successfully taking video/stills who would be willing to work with you and help get you set up with something appropriate for your type of diving?

Remember when you start filming not to forget about the basics and keep an eye on your breathing gas. Stay safe and happy diving!

Thanks! Lights was where I started, so good to hear. I don't dive where I live anymore, as I dropped cold water dry-suit diving :), so it is all travel. Mostly to two types of destinations: Thailand or "Southern Europe" (Malta, Madeira, Hvar, Mallorca, etc). But it might be a good idea to try to find a photo/video instructor at my destination, thanks!

Depends on your orientation. If your horizontal or even slightly head down most of the bubbles should roll up around your neck and ears not in front of your face. Plus he was using multiple GoPros so no telling if there was footage that was cut out because it was obstructed by bubbles. I've seen GoPro mounts for regulators out now so I'm assuming other than the noise of breathing that could eliminate a lot of the bubbles

Unless you stick to shallow water with good ambient light, good lights with a GoPro are going to work better than not-so-good lights and a better camera. So, since you already have a GoPro, I'd say to go for the best lights you can afford (two of them), and see what kind of results you get. If it's still not good enough, THEN think about spending money for a better camera.

I have been eyeballing these video lights:

12000LM 10x XM-L2 Photography LED Scuba Diving Flashlight Torch 4*R+4*B 18650 | eBay

$86 for a light with 10 x Cree XM-L2 LED emitters. Those LEDs are rated for a max of just over 1000 lumens each. That means this light could realistically be putting out 5000 - 6000 lumens. Maybe more. (obviously, a theoretical max of over 10,000 lumens, which would never actually happen, in the real world)

If you do decide to go for a mirrorless setup, you don't have to spend a ton of money, either. My rig is an Olympus OM-D E-M10, in a Meikon housing. I got the camera off CL for $400 and the housing is about $250, new. The camera is awesome and the housing has been working just fine for almost a year. I added the Meikon wet Wide Angle dome port and it works well, also. I think it was around $170?

Hi Arneu, as others have said, lighting is key. But you certainly do not need two lights on every dive.

I take my tray and two lights down (short arms) only when I am using wide angle. When I don't need that, I use one light (max power 3000 lumens for day dives or max power 1200 lumens for night dives) mounted on my cold shoe. (You can get a cold shoe to ball joint connector) For macro/small critters, I find the full tray and two lights set up to be very unwieldy. And for manta dives, where the lights are useless, I take just the camera and wide angle, no lights. Like you, I am much happier keeping it compact.

My camera is an old Canon S100, which is a compact camera. As others have said, the camera is not the critical factor. Get a "basically good camera", with a housing that will allow macro and wide angle lenses to be added (even if you don't want those right now) and that has a cold shoe. Then learn to use it well. No harm spending on a DSLR or micro 4/3rds etc if you want to, but don't scrimp on the lights and keep additional lenses in mind.

One more tip - get ball joint connectors, stay away from the YS connectors.

Hope this helps, have fun!

Do you actually want focus? Zoom? Then dump the GoPro - even with better lights. If you're going to go that route first, buy two lights with at least 90 degree beam patterns - since your GoPro shoots 170 degrees so you'll see a lot of dark shadows if you don't.

Smart money seems to be in housed mirror-less cameras now in the prosumer video space - a lot of them shoot in 4K video resolution. The housings will be larger compared to the GoPro but it should be easy to clip them off. I'm not up on the new cameras but you can't go wrong with a Sony alpha series camera if you can afford one.

Invest in good folding light arms/clamps like the ULCS system - when folded they're pretty compact but extended give you better positioning options. Cuts down on the backscatter when the lights are off-axis to the lens.

Take the time to contact Jack Connick at Optical Ocean Sales or someone at Mozaik - or anybody at Backscatter.My buddy buys most of his video gear from Reef Photo in Fl.

No offense but if you really want to make a substantial improvement in your video - Stuartv's suggestion is the only one to consider in this thread currently. Notice the beam angle on his lights - 120° Although I currently don't house one, I've liked/used Olympus OM-series cameras for decades.

Last edited:
Depends on your orientation. If your horizontal or even slightly head down most of the bubbles should roll up around your neck and ears not in front of your face. Plus he was using multiple GoPros so no telling if there was footage that was cut out because it was obstructed by bubbles. I've seen GoPro mounts for regulators out now so I'm assuming other than the noise of breathing that could eliminate a lot of the bubbles

The reg mounts are a thorny issue at the moment as there’s is concern they will obstruct the purge cover in an OOG event. Take a good look before getting one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom