What's a good step-up from GoPro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree on the fast SSD advice, but for video editing I would definitely add that graphic card is one of the most critical components. Hardware acceleration on a powerful GPU makes a huge difference to the speed of working with video editing (applying effects, quick high quality preview, fast rendering times). I have an ok powerful Geforce 970 4GB card, not the latest and greatest but makes a very significant difference on speeding up video editing a lot.

I cant find that article anymore but somebody actually did an evaluation and found that a gaming GPU is actually an overkill and doesnt result in any performance boost for rendering/transcoding videos. I think as long as the GFX card supports 4K resolution and has decent VRAM you are good to go.

P

Unless you stick to shallow water with good ambient light, good lights with a GoPro are going to work better than not-so-good lights and a better camera. So, since you already have a GoPro, I'd say to go for the best lights you can afford (two of them), and see what kind of results you get. If it's still not good enough, THEN think about spending money for a better camera.

I have been eyeballing these video lights:

12000LM 10x XM-L2 Photography LED Scuba Diving Flashlight Torch 4*R+4*B 18650 | eBay

73.3€ for a light with 10 x Cree XM-L2 LED emitters. Those LEDs are rated for a max of just over 1000 lumens each. That means this light could realistically be putting out 5000 - 6000 lumens. Maybe more. (obviously, a theoretical max of over 10,000 lumens, which would never actually happen, in the real world)

These look interesting!
I use a GoPro Hero 5 as well and need some good lights.
Has anybody tried out these lights? Whats the result?

I have gone from GoPro to Photo/DigFoto and back to gopro again.
The goPro with the right kit is a great camera...
I use it in a HugyFot housing.

I never use WIDE on the videos... it is so unnatural.
Get yourself Float Arms to make stabiler videos.
Lights are important.
Slow the video down in the post production... this makes everything seem much smoother
I have all Adobe´s software which I use for work, BUT I use mainly iMovie... it fast and super easy.

I always say to my clients... it isn't the camera that makes the good video/photos
... it is the diver themselves

my latest Wreck Vids with the GoPro.

Malta: MV Karwela:
Malta: SS Le Polynesien:
Malta: HMS Stubborn (Sub: P238):
Stu.

I have gone from GoPro to Photo/DigFoto and back to gopro again.
The goPro with the right kit is a great camera...
I use it in a HugyFot housing.

I never use WIDE on the videos... it is so unnatural.
Get yourself Float Arms to make stabiler videos.
Lights are important.
Slow the video down in the post production... this makes everything seem much smoother
I have all Adobe´s software which I use for work, BUT I use mainly iMovie... it fast and super easy.

I always say to my clients... it isn't the camera that makes the good video/photos
... it is the diver themselves

These are the places I dive, GREAT VIDEOS!! What type of light do you use??

hi Ian, thankyou...
i have 2x hugyfot lights on the HF float arms, I also use a divemarkt MLV 3 sometimes.

malta is a great place to dive.... traveling back in early 2018 for some more fun. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom