What's a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Ron, I appreciate that. Coming from you it means a lot.
Your article on partial pressure is still the best I've read.

My financial situation hasn't allowed me to buy my own rebreather yet,
but I'll get there eventually. Luckily a friend has two, and there are still
a couple of rentals in the L.A. area.

Espenkogen, you really need to do your homework.
Your posts are likely doing more damage to your dwindling reputation than to rebreathers. The problem you're incurring here is not that we disagree with what you say, but that you lack knowledge and data to proof your points.

Ron and I for example may disagree on subjects, or choose different units.
But the reasoning behind our opinions and choices is usually sound and easliy respected by the other. As they should be.

We, and most others who are regulars in this forum, have made and continue to make an effort to learn, to add to our knowledge, skills and experiences. We also make an effort to share knowledge and experiences by contributing to forums, publishing articles, and in Ron's case teaching people how to dive rebreathers.

There were several factors contributing to Dave Shaw's fatal accident that accumulated. Some of them individually would have likely had a different outcome. Unfortunately they were for most part diver error and thus preventable. Bounce diving to depths like these is pretty much uncharted territory and the margin for error becomes very, very small.
But to use it as an example for CC diving being more dangerous seems rather stupid knowing that the diver he attempted to recover found his end on OC. You should be able to figure that one out.

Obviously you have some intrest in rebreathers. You've found this forum, read through the archive. You'll find a myriad of information and links to yet more information. Your wrongful comments in regards to the Ouroboros and APD CCRs were completely unnecessary. Manuals for all three units are available for download from their manufacturers' websites.

There is nothing wrong with not understanding something and asking, but there is something wrong with not knowing or understanding something and making statements like some of yours.

Even if you don't like rebreathers, and want to save the diving world from them, at least make an effort to argue intelligent, well educated points. Then no one will fault you, the discussion will be more intresting and responding will not seem like a waste of time just to make stop.

mnj1233:
I dont dive one yet but hope to in the future. I am curious as to the statistics regarding accidents. Specifically what % of accidents are equipment malfunctions versus diver error??? Ive heard and read most are diver error is this true.
Accurate accident information, even exact numbers, are often hard to come by.
BSAC in England also keeps some records on accidents.

One needs to place those numbers in context, though.
While RB diving has become more mainstream since Dräger introduced tha Atlantis and Ambient Pressure Valves the Buddy Inspiration, the majority of diving is done in the extended range and technical specialties. Just the number of divers doesn't really reflect the relation as you would be counting every resort vacation bimble diver.

If you look at the number of dives, the hours of diving and the profiles that RB and especially RMV-SCR and CCR users dive you'll see numbers from a different perspective.

Divemole's
Inspiration website has both a very intresting user survey (unfortunately not updated in a while) as well as fairly up to date data on fatalities on that particular unit. Both very much worth reading and analyzing.

Stephan:

Very well stated! I've been following the banter back and forth on this post all day. I think your two posts sum everything up very nicely. Now on to West Palm to dive my Sport Kiss!!!

Doug

Thank God, Finally!!!! Listen to him alix

hi caveseeker7,

i have got your help several times with my own RB and appreciated them very much. having said that, i must say that your post #28 is by far more concise and yet informative introduction on RBs. deeply impressed!

only a few weeks ago i wrote an introductory article on RBs in the official journal of PADI Japan. i wish I could have read your #28 post BEFORE i wrote it!

DAMN,

ken chung ar

CCRDolphinDiver:
Thanks Dave for answering that, i was right behind ya there.
Sorry guys for making this seem like us vs them, I get a little perturbed when folks start stating things like they are facts when they dont know the correct answers. I dont spend much time on the regular scuba forums for this reason. I was alerted to this post by a buddy who said I really should jump in and rebutt the crap with facts.

Everyone is certainly entitled to an opinion, however you should state opinions as such. As in "in my opinion, playing tennis is a very dangerous sport, and those participating in it are in great danger of losing their limbs from the stress on the joints"

what you have stated is put out as fact, with no backing information, this is what gets my dander up. The information I have posted is much more fact than opinion, with the articles and experience to back it up. I have written articles on rebreathers that are available on my website as well as RBW and soon to be in Advanced Diver Magazine. If you would like more info on RB's, that is a great place to start, as rewriting all that info here would be rather redundant.

I don't think we actually disagree all that much - I've been reading alot about rebreathers, and as I said - I find it interesting. I probably should have checked the details regarding the CO2 monitoring for the Ouraboras before writing about it - I thought I read something about that on the Ouraboras website last week - I probably mixed it up with the article I referenced in my previous post.

My opinion on rebreathers (as highlighted earlier) is that the machines in themselves aren't dangerous - But divers not experienced in them, are.

With open ciruit, as far as life support goes, you only need to monitor your air gauge. Period. With Nitrox, it gets a bit more complicated, because you need to worry about not getting too much 02. Trimix, even more complicated - Now you have too much and too little to worry about. With a rebreather, it's even more to monitor - Now it's too much O2, too little O2 and too much CO2. (The latter, which you have to rely on your physiology to monitor(?) - rate of breathing, presumably?)

So sorry for getting your back up - Just was trying to say that rebreathers are great for experienced divers ready to move on to the next greatest thing in diving - But that it might be wise not to jump on to one until you're comfortable at depth on open circuit.

CCRDolphinDiver:
In my opinion (see how this works) Rebreathers are as safe as the diver, and the instructor who taught them, if you dont have a safe mentality, do proper pre dive checks, follow checklists etc, then you have no business diving a RB. We dont need more bad press.
I would love to have a reasonable discussion with anyone on the subject of RB's, but please dont come across like you know everything when you dont. Please allow someone who actually knows the answers to respond. I am not saying that I know everything (or everyone either : ) but I have been been doing it for a while, and I will be diving this afternoon, with 4 other RB divers and 2 OC divers too. As long as you are diving, having a good time, then go for it.

It does make for a lively discussion doesnt it? dont get me started on DIR...

As I am sure you agree, all posts on these boards are opinions of someone or another -I would say that unless items represented as facts are referenced as to their source of origin and accuracy, they're still a representation of the author's opinion or understanding of an issue at hand. That this understanding or opinion might or might not be an accurate (more or less) representation of the facts at hand, is a different matter altoghether.

Wow....Alix here.....of course I'm still following....I started the thread, didn't I?

I was travelling back to St. Croix and just got all the info tonight.

CaveSeeker...thank you. I think this is more than enough information to answer my question. I was really looking for the basic answer. Now I have something to reference when I have another question regarding the same.

And, espenskogen, thanks for the darker side. What you said makes sense in that I'm NOT an experienced diver and shouldn't really consider this just yet, however; I just wanted to know what the hell it is. And now I know. Sorta. :) And when I want to know more, I will come here and then research on my own.

I know I'm not ready yet, I was just confused as to what it is.

Thanks to all that answered, now, have a beer and relax.....ya'll are great! Nothing like a simple question to get everyone going!

Big Hugs~

Alix

You're welcome, Alix.

You're from St. Croix ... somewhere on your island is Darlene.
Kinda hard to miss, and she dives a rebreather. :D

mermaid8773:
Really? I'll have to check into that...maybe buy her a beer or something.....

Looking for a dive buddy!

Alix
Oh I was going to mention her but as usualy Stefan beat me to it. Darlene is brilliant!

Again, thank you. And if anyone sees her before me, please tell her I am looking for her....... :wink:

I love this place.....didn't mean to stir the pot, but, it ended up interesting! Great reading for a rainy day in the islands.

Big Hugs~

Alix

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom