What's a trust me dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Porkfried

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Simple question really, I'm new to diving and have head the term "trust me" dive and don't know that it is.

simple answer: any portion of a dive (pre, during, or post) where you do not have (1) understanding, (2) input, (3) equal say in what is going on, outside of the controlled training realm.

essentially, its putting it in someone else's hands to manage

Last edited:
It is when the leader of the dive (DM or whomever) plans a dive that is beyond your current skill or confidence level and expects/encourages you to tag along. "You'll be ok." That is a "trust me dive" and one to be avoided. If the dive leader tells you the plan is to descend to a depth deeper than you are trained for or comfortable with, if the dive leader tells you that you will be going through some tunnels or other overheads you are not trained or comfortable with, SPEAK UP and tell them you will NOT be doing that dive. Do not put yourself in danger at the whim of someone else. If you are certified, you are perfectly capable of planning and executing your own dive plan. No body loves you like you do! :wink:

A "trust me dive" is a dive where someone takes a less experienced diver into a dive that if something where to happen to the more experienced diver, it is dicey whether the less experienced diver could get out of the dive on their own. To a lesser degree, Trust me dives are done daily through an instructor & students, but it is in a very measured & controlled manor. The biggest problem with trust me dives is that the less experienced diver doesn't know what they don't know & are relying on the other, more experienced diver to lead them through. Think of it this way,... Do you trust your very life to that other diver? If you do a trust me dive, that is what you are doing. Don't get me wrong, trust between divers in a team is a good thing, but it must be a mutual trust, not 1 sided.

You want to look at this thread: Dive Planning and Trust Me Dives
Lot's of good input from some very experienced and knowledgeable divers, although like most Internet discussions, you have to be able to sort out the little bit of noise and bluster.

What about diving with a guide when you are new?

A guide can be good or bad. A good guide will provide you with advice about things you might have to approach differently because of local conditions, and can point out sights you might not see or recognize otherwise. A bad guide may rush about or endanger you, taking you beyond your skill and comfort level. Remember that while a guide may advise you on where to go, you are in charge of the dive and control the depth, time, pace and conditions you're willing to dive in, although if the guide says 'don't go there', it probably be a good idea to listen. However if at any instant in the dive you might be thinking of the guide (or other buddy) as some form of lifeguard, you've probably slipped into 'trust me' mode and are probably in over your head.

My own thoughts (after thinking over various other people on this board's opinions):

If you're diving within the limits of your training and experience, and would be comfortable doing the dive independently (with a buddy who has similar training and experience to you), then going with a guide or someone else more experienced should make the dive safer. If something unexpected happens, you might have another more experienced diver around to help out.

If you're diving outside the limits of your training and experience and would not be comfortable doing the dive independently, the dive is going to be less safe. What happens, for example, if you're separated from the guide or the guide is unable to help for one reason or another?

simple answer: any portion of a dive (pre, during, or post) where you do not have (1) understanding, (2) input, (3) equal say in what is going on, outside of the controlled training realm.

essentially, its putting it in someone else's hands to manage

I would add to that definition;

It is also any dive that you could not safely complete without assistance.

The 'trust me' element is where you rely on the greater skill, training and experience of another diver to ensure safety where your current level of competence is not sufficient.

It requires an abdication of personal responsibility for your own safety to a third-party.

There is a distinct difference between a 'trust me' dive with a dive pro, or any other more experienced divers, and a training/mentoring dive. The primary difference is that in a training/mentoring dive, the supervising diver will ensure that you grasp the knowledge and skills needed to complete all aspects of the dive before you get in the water. In contrast, a 'trust me' dive tends to consist of nothing more than "follow me, you will be ok, I will look after you".

As a trained, qualified, certified diver, you are responsible for your own safety - with the added safeguards of adherance to the buddy system and, at times, the supervision of a dive leader. Nonetheless, those other people are no more responsible for your safety than you are for theirs.

With most scuba agencies, you are given the advice to dive only within the limitations of your current training and experience. That means adhering to depth recommendations, not entering overhead environments and diving within water/weather conditions with which you are familiar. Basically... it means you are diving in circumstances for which you are trained, skilled and educated in - and this is a major factor in ensuring your safety. It also means using and applying the skills, techniques and knowledge that you had been provided with during your training. This would not be a 'trust me' dive, because you should be qualified for the diving that you are doing and you will have the right tools to complete that dive.

Diving under the supervision of a dive leader does not excuse you from these safe diving practices; especially the responsibility for ensuring your own safety, for diving within your recommended limitations and for always applying the skills, techniques and knowledge that you aquired in the process of your certification. Those people who do view having professional supervision as an option to 'opt out' of responsible decision making, abdicate personal responsibility and not bother to apply what they had previously been taught - are the ones who make 'trust me' dives.

Sadly, too many scuba industry 'pros' actually encourage divers to make 'trust me' dives. Ego can cause them to over-estimate their ability to safeguard divers, commercial pressures (the desire to please) can cause them to make bad risk assesments applicable to their customers, sheer negligence can make them act as bad role-models and encourage unsafe diving.

There are numerous negative consequences that result from doing 'trust me' dives. In the worst instance, they can lead to loss of life if things go wrong. At the least, they serve to encourage divers to over-estimate their own capabilities - because divers can grow complacent about completing dives where they actually are very reliant on others should things go wrong...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom