What's happening on EBay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tchil01

Reaction score
Is there a full moon this week or are all of the crazies just on EBay. Yesterday I watched two bidders drive the price of a pair of used Jet Fins to almost $60 when you could get a new pair for only $65... And tonight I was surfing in the general scuba catagory when I ran across a 2.7 cf spair air that had been bid up to almost $200... when you can buy it new for the same price....

I guess if you have anything you want to get rid of, now is the time... It looks like they will buy anything on there.

Ty

Ever go shopping, see a mob around a table/rack and people furiously grabbing stuff left and right? You sidle up, notice what a GREAT DEAL is being offered, and snatch up a few for yourself?

Then you get home, look at your loot - the fog magically clears and you are left wondering how come you spent so much money for the _______ (fill in the blank -junk/useless object/doohickey/what IS that?)

I'm guilty. :rolleyes: Ok, for you guys out there, if you won't own up to it, maybe you saw your wife or mother engage in such weird behavior. I call it sale-mania. The total takeover of the rational part of your brain by sheer acquisitiveness and the inability to turn down a GREAT DEAL. :D

You throw in the added factor of limited quantity and the competitive aspect of people bidding against each other - ahh, sanity run amok. That's why I avoid Ebay. :wink:

....every minute...

I know I have done well selling used basic edition DVD's for the same price as the new special edition :wink:.

if you look around on ebay I think scuba gear is the most rediculous over priced non warranty stuff you can get. It amazes me how much money ppl will pay for used scuba stuff on ebay and still have to pay shipping on it when for a few bucks more they can get it new with a warranty. The other day I was looking a magellan 315s gps on ebay and they were selling as high as $130 when I found a site that will sell you one brand new for $109 after the $20 mail in rebate. Go figure. But I still see bidders out bidding each other for something they can get new cheaper and with out worrying about being out bid.:rolleyes:

My wife has been selling on eBay as her full-time job for 2+ years. She does mostly antiques, but has sold a wide variety of items, both new and used. I pick up a few bucks selling musical instruments.
What we have seen is that new items will often sell for prices at or near what you would pay with a "regular" merchant. Used items seem to vary a lot more, mostly depending on how competative the bidding gets.
I've bought a lot of scuba gear on eBay, and have almost allways been satisfied.

Here's a few tips:

Check out the seller. Look at his feedback, and email customers who have bought from him before.

Reputible dealers will guarantee a full refund (less shipping), no questions asked.

Price the item at "regular" outlets before you mortgage the farm.

Learn to "snipe", i.e. don't bid until the last minute. It may not be nice, but you can get some great bargains this way.

Do a search for the item you're looking for, and watch the auctions using the "My eBay" feature. The same or similar items can sell for widely different prices.

Be patient! Real bargains can be found if you're willing to do the work and shop smart.

What I do is use a sniper bidder. I set the max I'm willing to pay then in the last 10 sec. it bids for me. I used to just bid and wait, But I have many auction go well beyond reasonable prices because of the nibblers. You know I bid, you bid 1 dollar over me I bid a dollar over you, by the time you know it. it's gone up 20 bucks. Then you say hey I'm not going to let this guy get it. It's ONLY a couple dollars more. Well folks I said my peace. Bid high and only once. if you get it wel good for you, but don't nibble

A few years ago I bought a $700 set of golf clubs, used them for a year, and then listed them on ebay with a reserve of $400. Sold them for something like $625. I couldn't believe it.

Originally posted by sdexcalibur
What I do is use a sniper bidder. I set the max I'm willing to pay then in the last 10 sec. it bids for me. I used to just bid and wait, But I have many auction go well beyond reasonable prices because of the nibblers. You know I bid, you bid 1 dollar over me I bid a dollar over you, by the time you know it. it's gone up 20 bucks. Then you say hey I'm not going to let this guy get it. It's ONLY a couple dollars more. Well folks I said my peace. Bid high and only once. if you get it wel good for you, but don't nibble

What program do you use?

Auction Sentry works very well (both for ebay and yahoo auctions), I purchased the s/w on ebay for under $20.00. Only disadvantange is your computer must be on and have a current internet connection to place the bid.

P.S. I usually can time my bid to be placed with less than 5 seconds remaining on the auction.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom