What's in a (user) Name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shortly after being discharged I moved to Jamaica and recovered some of my sanity. I lived there for more than a year, and while there acquired a small parrot that lived with me for the following three decades. An extremely smart little endemic Jamaican, technically Amazona agilis. She died shortly before I joined this board. The avatar is simply a mischievous little girl, not unlike the parrot. I'm thinking of changing it, perhaps to a head shot of Kelly Conway or Truman Capote..

I've used the same username for email and various boards for over 20 years. My avatar is the jet I drove for the USAF/AFRES for 25+ years- the Lockheed C-5 Galaxy with a max takeoff weight of 840,000 lbs. Hence the "flybigjet".

Now that I'm retired from the AF, I guess I should really consider "flewbigjet" since the current minijet I fly has a max takeoff weight of only 187,000 lbs.

R.

Last edited:
I'm a 1981 grad of Purdue (The Boilermakers). So, Boiler_81. The avatar was used by the Purdue SCUBA club.

Shortly after being discharged I moved to Jamaica and recovered some of my sanity. I lived there for more than a year, and while there acquired a small parrot that lived with me for the following three decades. An extremely smart little endemic Jamaican, technically Amazona agilis. She died shortly before I joined this board. The avatar is simply a mischievous little girl, not unlike the parrot. I'm thinking of changing it, perhaps to a head shot of Kelly Conway or Truman Capote..
I vote Kelly :)

@tilikum - thanks for bumping this thread and great question to kick it off @Ting Tong.

This has been a fun read. @Wingy - the Hendrixian connection would not have been my first guess... excellent though.

When I first joined the board, my current callsign was already taken, so I used an older callsign from my Naval Aviation days. It's merely a play on my last name, since I had managed to not do something overly stupid or embarassing (many Naval Aviation callsigns are bestowed upon the unwitting recipient as a reminder that they had screwed something up).

The avatar thing... I really need to find something to throw in there. I just haven't devoted much thought to it, quite frankly. I thought that I might go with @uncfnp 's approach with a picture of my old beloved lab, but had to wipe my eyes just thinking about it, so that's not gonna work.

I've used the same username for email and various boards for over 20 years. My avatar is the jet I drove for the USAF/AFRES for 25+ years- the Lockheed C-5 Galaxy with a max takeoff weight of 840,000 lbs. Hence the "flybigjet".

Now that I'm retired from the AF, I guess I should really consider "flewbigjet" since the current minijet I fly has a max takeoff weight of only 187,000 lbs.

R.
Ah, the old "Aluminium Overcast"....

Mine comes from the song of Black Sabbath "Supernaut".
However many times when I subscribe on a new forum, especially those in english language, already exists. So it become Supernaut05. "05" comes from the name of Spaceballs movie spaceship Eagle5.
It could seem complicated but it's simple in my mind...

Mines the title of an album by The Orb that I listened to (a lot!) as a student, and still now occasionally (on tape :eek: ). My friend said The Orb always reminded her of me, esp as my names Rob.
I first starting using it as a username on the PlayStation network, then on a ski forum.

I also think 'flying' fits for diving - my instructor told us he was teaching us to fly, not dive, which I really like!
I guess the 'unidentified' works too with the mask on under water...

Mine is from Jack the ripper. I am fascinated by the story. I couldn't get jack the ripper so I had to go with ripman. The 3 is because someone already has it. My avatar is the head from the Mandy ray. I just thought is was funny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom