Whats in your Spare Parts Kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigmak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a new diver trying to put together a spare parts kit.
Looking for recommendations on what should be in it.
If I am duplicating a thread I apologize.
I did attempt to search but did not find anything.

For a very basic one: spare strap for your mask (or spare mask), spare straps for your fins, o-rings for a tank valve, batteries for your light(s), batteries for your dive computer (if user replaceable), a scuba multi purpose tool (to make reg adjustments or replace hoses, etc.)

I'm sure more will pipe in with more suggestions for a larger save-a-dive-kit.

Cheers.

-J.-

Get some basic tools, allen keys, small open end wrenches and various screw drivers. Cutters, Pliers, needle nose, dental pick to remove the orings from parts. vise grips, adjustable wrech. Duck tape, electrical tape, plumbers tape. Silicon lube.

Parts. A set of various orings, etra mask strap, fin strap, Aqua seal. (Basic Save a dive kit) You can throw in a few hoses ( over time you get a collection ) I now have on Big tool chest that has an extra reg, extra octo,, hoses, fins gloves booties, masks hoods, weight and webbing. I also have Bungie cord in a few different sizes. And your friend always..ZIP TIES!!! some gate clips, spare d-rings, 2 inch webbing, spare weight belt, extra weights...

Extra crap: A few lengths of marine grade rope. I use this as a cloths line to hang gear to dry. A few different size tarps. Some for the ground and some for making a sunshades....

you will collect many things over the years...

Jeez Scarface, do you have your own boat to carry all that in? If not, you must need a flat four wheel dolly to take that all to the boat. I'll give you this, you are the most prepared diver I've ever met or read about. Kudos, however it ust take you a while to repack when you take a plane trip, or do you really take all that with you?

Most important things for me are o-rings. A mask strap and all the others are important, but most common problem I've seen, especially with tanks (in my one year of diving) are 0-ring related. So, that's number one on my list.

O-rings for all connections (viton/EPDM)
fin and mask straps (if not using springs)
2 8" adjustable SS wrenches
set of allen keys
multi tool (leatherman or sometihing)
port plugs for regs
tie wraps (zip ties)
cave line
bolt snap and double ender
bungee cord
spare mouth piece
spare SPG
piece of neoprene and aquaseal (to patch drysuit)
lighter

sea sickness pills, ibuprofen, hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol and quacker bars are not in my safe a dive box, but readily available in my dive back pack

When traveling I add:
batteries for lights and computers
extra first, second stage
extra hoses
extra valve (and internals)
fill whip
etc, etc

It just adds up.....but self sufficient is the key.

scarefaceDM:
you will collect many things over the years...
I hear you! My wife is complaining that I took 1/3 of our garage for my dive gear....... told her better this than a meth lab...?

Tools - vise grips, allen wrenches, screw driver
o-rings - of various USEFUL sizes
HP hose, LP hose, Drysuit Inflator hose
cave line - to retie things
SS bolt snaps
mask
first stage regulator
mask straps
fin straps - but I have springs now - still in kit - buddies might need - share the wealth
zip ties
bungee cord
aquaseal
port plugs for first stage
silicon grease
gloves

After seeing these posts I'm definately adding spare mouth piece, spare SPG, webbing, and something to patch a drysuit with. Good ideas!

Actually it takes no time at all. The trick is one of them big rolling tool cases ( stanly tools) You have to put things in tupperwear boxes, small organizers and in a tool box. I use alot of plastic tool organizers. Everything has a tag or a label on it.

I bring what I need when boat divng. The tool chest stays in the car. But once on a boat...no need for the BIG tool kit. Just the small things.

But when shore diving...everything comes with me. I use the TOOL chest to sit on or as a table. and I also bring them folding camping chairs. PLUS you need food..so a cooler, camp stove and the utensils, if your making a BBQ...then the folding BBQ...We eat like kings after a dive day...( I think I need a trailer , one of them Closed cargo ones...hummmm...)

As for the primary gear. It is in a roller bag or a BIN. my Station wagn is a really nice Dive mobile. Drop the seats and pack my gear. The car if FULL with two sets of gear 6 tanks and my DOG. oh yeah my girlfriend too..:wink:

It just takes planning. But you do accumulate alot of stuff. I try and plan to BUY something to be able to use it for something else. Say hiking, camping, Hunting anything outdoors. A good way to buy a toy or two...:wink:

And yeah..My garage is FULL!..I am in the process of making a dive locker. I do hope I do not have to ADD to the garage...She will kill me.

waynel:
Jeez Scarface, do you have your own boat to carry all that in? If not, you must need a flat four wheel dolly to take that all to the boat. I'll give you this, you are the most prepared diver I've ever met or read about. Kudos, however it ust take you a while to repack when you take a plane trip, or do you really take all that with you?

Most important things for me are o-rings. A mask strap and all the others are important, but most common problem I've seen, especially with tanks (in my one year of diving) are 0-ring related. So, that's number one on my list.

Back
Top Bottom