What's needed for night diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whathedeuce

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am interested in learning about night diving. Is there any extra training/equipmwnt needed? For instance, is there a certain type of light you have to have? I mean, i know the brighter the better, but any info would be appreciated. thanks

if you don't have a good mentor to guide you thru the learning process. then yes you should seek out instruction.

What are you interested in about night diving?

This will help point you in the right direction for the gear you will need.

a good light is of course the first thing you will need. a wreck reel, catch bag, are some other items you may want to carry.

Varies by location. Two flashlights are for certain. We also put a light stick up around the tank neck. You may need a float with a light stick or light, too. My South Florida experience is to use an eight C cell light, and one of those Underwater Kinetics SL4 lights. That SL4 has a pencil beam which is good, as a wide beam tends to light up a bunch of particles in the water.

In the ocean, once your eyes adjust, you can see a lot with your light out, provided the water is mostly clear. My buddy takes a cave light into the ocean, and the extreme brightness may actually limit his ability to see outside the beam.

If you are just starting out, try a twilight dive to get used to it. If you go on a dive boat, stick with the guide. I'll post some light signals, shortly.

Have fun with it.

Stu S.

(Formerly of Aiken, SC)

You can get a sub-certification with most agencies for night diving which goes through all of the basics and gives you a couple of dives to get some experience, so if you are a newer diver with not a lot of open water dives to start with, that might be the way to go. (Although its not a requirement).

As far as the light is concerned it just depends on what type of diving you are doing. Brighter is not always better, as an HID light for cave diving is gross overkill for a basic shallow reef dive. I once dove with someone who had a very bright light and it actually scared some of the fish away...for your basic reef dives you can get a decent light from a dive store like Scubatoys or LP for $ 25-$ 50. Not a bad idea to get a small backup light as well.

If you can find a buddy who has some night dive experience that would be helpful. You can go out right at dusk so when you descend there is still some ambient light, but then over the time of the dive you go to darkness. This is actually a good time to see a lot of activity as the "shift change" of the ocean environment is taking place.

Scubamax

Well, night diving is just diving -- Water's the same. The challenges that come with the loss of light relate to keeping track of things. You have to figure out how to keep in touch with your buddy, and how to figure out where you are going, where you have been, and how to get back. As far as skills go, night diving tests your buoyancy control and orientation, because you don't have the gradation of light to help you know where you are in the water column. You need to be comfortable in the dark, because if your light fails, it will take a little time to get your backups out.

As you can imagine, the equipment needed for night diving relates to light. You need a good primary light (and what that is, is a matter for discussion) and at least one good backup light, stowed where you can easily get to it while diving. You may, depending on whether you are shore or boat diving, need a light source to leave on shore, to help you find your way back to your entry point. If you are going to have to do free ascents, it's very helpful to have a DSMB and learn how to deploy it (free ascents in the dark are a buoyancy challenge!)

The light you need for night diving is going to depend a little bit on where you are doing the dives. Night dives in clear, tropical water don't need much light intensity. In fact, taking too bright a light down with you means you will not see some of the nocturnal animals, who will hide long before you get to them. On the other hand, diving at night in Puget Sound, you're better off with the best and brightest light you can afford :)

Night dives are my favorite type of dives. So much to see!

Regarding equipment, I would recommend talking to some local divers about what they use for your local conditions. If it's murky where you live, you may need to invest in a more expensive, more powerful light. In clear warm water diving, some might say an HID is overkill. At the minimum, you should have a secondary light with you just in case your primary light gets flooded or runs out of juice.

Regarding "training," you'll get different recommendations from all of us on ScubaBoard. Some will say that you should take a night diving specialty course or Advanced Open Water course to learn the skills. Others will advise you to just go diving with more experienced divers who can introduce you to the world of night diving. It all depends on your comfort level. I personally do not think a formal class is necessary, but others will disagree.

A similar thread was started in another ScubaBoard forum. Although the original poster was headed to Bonaire, I think you might find some of the comments useful.

Here's the link:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/209955-new-night-diving.html

Have fun and be safe.

I am interested in learning about night diving. Is there any extra training/equipmwnt needed? For instance, is there a certain type of light you have to have? I mean, i know the brighter the better, but any info would be appreciated. thanks

Yes, there is "special" equipment and education that you need.

First, the obvious: lights. Notice that's pleural. At least two. Personally I always carry a small hand light when I dive, even during the day, because you never know when you might want to peek into some little nook or cranny and see what's in there and also because as you get deeper you start losing all those pretty reds and oranges pretty quickly. At night I use a more powerful primary light and at least one backup handlight. But that's not all the light you'll want to have... A strobe or flasher or chemical light stick attached to your highest point is a really good idea. Also a strobe on the bottom near your entry/exit point or attached to your anchor line (especially the anchor line) can be really useful. In addition to the underwater lights, you should have a light on shore/dock/boat so you have a target to swim to on the surface. And don't point your light at your buddy. If s/he's looking at you when you do it, you'll wreck his/her night vision.

Second, other equipment. You dont' really need anything special just because it's night. Equip yourself for the type of environment as appropriate; however, be aware that water and air temps are usually lower at night, often dramatically, so plan for that both in your underwater exposure protection and in the clothing you'll need when you're out of the water. I do carry an extra cutter when I night dive, just in case I get into some line that I didn't see or something. More of a security blanket than anything else probably, but hey I'd rather have it and not need it... Keep in mind that anything extra you take has it's own buoyancy characteristics, including those lights we already talked about, so you might need to adjust your weighting accordingly. Do a buoyancy check when you enter the water if you changed what you are carrying much.

Finally and most importantly you need to be a confident (not cocky) diver with solid skills and have the same in a buddy, because when the lights go out it can be pretty disorienting at first. In addition, diving at night can be a little unnerving at first, so you have to be able to control your anxiety and relax. Good buoyancy control is a must! If you can't maintain your buoyancy with little or no visual references, or at the very least with everything looking different, you're going to get into trouble in the dark. You'll end up with either an uncontrolled ascent, going deeper than you wanted, or silting out the dive and ruining it for everyone.

Buoyancy control is the most important skill for any diver on any dive, but there are others which are also key. Don't dive somewhere at night that you haven't been in the daylight. Navigation skills are very important as well for much the same reasons. If you can't navigate well, good luck trying to find an anchor line in the dark. Yes, putting a strobe on it helps, but you still have to get close to see it, and depending on water conditions you might have to get very close. Hand signaling is different at night because of the night vision issue mentioned above. Shine your light on your hand when you sign so your buddy can see it, don't blind your buddy with your light then expect him/her to be able to see your signal. Planning your dive and diving your plan is important as well.

All of these things will be covered in a night diver specialty class or adventure dive program. I would strongly recommend taking one if you aren't diving with a group of experienced night divers who can help you out. Actually, even if you do take one, I'd suggest finding some experienced night divers to help you out. lol

That being said, I encourage you (or anyone) to try diving at night. It truly is incredible! Things just look different at night, so even a dive site you've seen many times will seem like someplace completely new. There are different creatures out at night, and even the ones you see during the day often exhibit different behaviors. It's really interesting to dive at dusk or (if you're a morning person) dawn and see how things change. Until they come up with a way to make coffee on the bottom, I'll stick to dusk, thanks. If you have a good grip on buoyancy and have planned it with your buddy, or at least communicate it effectively before you do it, turn the lights out and look around. Then look up. I love looking at the moon and a clear night sky if the water is good, with my bubbles floating up and the ripples of the surface... Very Zen.

Damnit, now I want to go for a night dive! I'm sure I have forgotten something, or someone else has a valuable addition to what I've typed, and I'm certainly no expert. Seek the advice and instruction of a competent, knowledgable, and experienced dive professional before trying night diving.

Holy cow, everyone was typing at once. Really wasted my "breath" on that post.

thanks guys from the input so far. I first wanted to find out if there was any training that was required by DM or whatever. I plan on getting a good amount more of day diving experience before doing the night dive thing. Mainly i am just trying to get a feel of whats involved. Doing a dusk dive sounds like a great idea. So it looks like i am really looking at primary and backup dive light, a SMB, and some other type of person marker, like a glow stick or a flashing beacon on the tank stem. Am i missing anything?

This is the light that i have right now. Would it be useful for anything like the backup? Ikelite PC-M Halogen Light from LeisurePro.com
What price are we looking at for a good quality primary night dive light. I have seen some very pricey ones but i'm pretty sure they are for tech diving. It doesn't have to be super bright just what ever you guys think would do the job...

Stu, its not often(its never happened) that i run into people from Aiken. When did you hail from these parts?

Back
Top Bottom