What's the best SCUBA car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best scuba car, in my opinion and since you asked, would be a vintage Singer. If you can't find one, a good substitute might be a BMW Isetta or a Messerschmitt Trike.

One cautionary note: BMW Isettas have no reverse gear. If you park head in against a wall, you may be trapped, unable to get out of the car. The door and windscreen are essentially the front end; the steering wheel is hinged and the shift is floor mounted, motorcycle style.

If you insist on a larger vehicle, check out the Renault Dauphine. It has a classy dual horn, with a loud 'country' position and a more restrained 'city' setting.

You could always get a Gogomobile.

NWGratefulDiver:
:confused:

My 2004 Honda Element gets a consistent 25 MPG ... and that's doing a lot of driving in Seattle area traffic ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,
How about some pictures of your ride loaded with gear

CoyKoi:
I'm partial to my 2003 Nissan Quest mini van. I do occasionally use it for other things besides diving -- like carrying passengers. Like all newer vans, it has a sliding mid-body door on both sides for ease of hauling gear out of it from either side.

Don't laugh. Its paid for.

I won't laugh. Mini vans are hugely practical. And I'm sure my two young daughters would LOVE all the room, but I want something off-road capable to take on the beach, trails, etc. But if I could get past the whole "soccer mom" stigma, I might consider one. But I can't. :)

NWGratefulDiver:
:confused:

My 2004 Honda Element gets a consistent 25 MPG ... and that's doing a lot of driving in Seattle area traffic ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You're right, that's not bad at all. And I don't envy you having to drive in Seattle traffic. Makes me glad I don't live there anymore. lol!

agilis:
One cautionary note: BMW Isettas have no reverse gear. If you park head in against a wall, you may be trapped, unable to get out of the car.

Yeah, that would be pretty much a deal breaker for me. lol! Although I'd get a good workout pushing that thing out from a parking spot. :wink:

i took my 98 sable down...it worked perfect except for the dog throw up in the back seat.

Someone tell me if I'm doing this right...

For the Element, (Here is where I get the specs I'm using.)

GVWR = 4450#

Curb Weight = 3567#

So the difference is 883#

Minus 100# for gas and stuff (6# / gal. * 16 Gal - 96# for gas). Or is gas included in Curb Weight? I don't think it is.

Leaves 787# for cargo, including passengers.

That's about 390# each for two divers and gear, right?

For the weight of each diver, let's assume a nice round figure ( :wink: ) of 200#.

So each diver could bring along about 190# of gear. Should be do-able.

If you wanted to take three divers, each diver could bring about 60# of gear. Ouch.

If you had a four-man team, you'd better snorkel.

Hey wontbslow
I travel locally with a lot of gear, cameras, computers and regulators and some of it is so east for someone to walk off with. I have had both a truck and a SUV and a SUV is my choice over a truck because it allows for you to lock up your gear between dives or when you stop to eat or get gas.
Britt :fish:
:fish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom