What's the best SCUBA car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get a Miata and become a solo diver.
"Sorry Joe, I would love to take you diving too but I just don't have any room." :D

truck, no questions asked.......

A Friend of mine had a Jeep Liberty and loved it for diving. Worked lots better than the Civic he has now. Get a Liberty CRD and you can get about 30MPG :). I have a Crew Cab Silverado that is fine for diving. Can take up to 4 passengers + driver, all wet gear can ride in the bed and I will be building a tank rack of some kind in the bed under my toolbox. IMO, truck beats all.

The problem with pickup trucks for diving is that they don't have much room INSIDE for gear. Let's say there are two of you and you're doing two shore dives. That means you have to fit your bins and your extra tanks and gear in the cab while you dive. Yes it can be done, but moving the gear is a pain and it's all visible to any potential car prowler.

IMO, a minivan is tough to beat. A buddy of mine has a Dodge Caravan and we can load up three divers and gear for three dives without any problem. They get reasonable mileage, there's lots of room and your gear is kept inside. They're not much good for towing a boat, but if you're looking for a tow vehicle then you're looking for something other than a "scuba car".

Get a Miata and become a solo diver.
"Sorry Joe, I would love to take you diving too but I just don't have any room." :D

Thats what I drive :cool2: It really comes in handy when I get to hitch a ride with my buddies and I don't have to worry about driving anywhere.

Well, sometimes I take my Jeep Wrangler, sometimes I take my Toyota Tacoma TRD/OR double cab with cap. If I am towing the boat then the Tacoma gets the nod, the Wrangler does not tow. Full size trucks I have owned in the past are nice but too hard to drive in traffic, park in my garage and off road, not so good there either.

My wife has a Jeep Liberty as well, it actually can tow pretty decent but it does wobble and weave and wag and the gas mileage is horrible and no room even for little people like us. Off road it is very capable.

What I would really like is the diesel Toyota Hi-Lux but they are not available in the US.

N

Got a Santa Fe this summer, love it, it's gas efficient for it's category and I can pack a lot of stuff in it.

I can easily have gear for 4 rec divers in it if we're only going diving. And I can setup my doubles and my buddy's doubles side by side in the back and go launch from there for dive sites without pic-nic tables (doubles 130 are heavy).

A good dive car would be something hatch back or a truck. But trucks aren't that fun if you have to drive 1h30 each way to get to the dive site.

I'm just starting out diving regularly, but for me it works fine just to pop open the trunk of my sedan, back up to the garage and load everything in...I am contemplating pasting a nice "dive flag" bumper sticker on though...:)

I've had several vehicles but by far the best is my Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD with a snug top camper shell. Nice thing about pickups is that after the diving when the gear is wet and there's game in the cooler it's in the bed and not in the same space as the people.
The snug top shell locks up well too.
I get about 22 MPG on the freeway.
I also tow my boat with it, but then I don't get any 22, it's more like 12.

Back
Top Bottom