What's the best way to enter & exit from shore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recently back from Bonaire where I was reminded the hard way not to shift my balance, planning to land on a moving foot, until I am certain the foot has arrived where it should be. Practically speaking, I was a yard shy of the shore and m=moved my left foot sideways to an underwater flat rock from which I expected to step easily onto the shore. Simultaneously, I altered my balance point toward the location at which the left foot would arrive--but it didn't. My foot bumped into an unseen rock barrier, causing me to fall over on my left side because I was already leaning that direction. A wave rolled me on my back and I felt like a turned turtle. A diver viewing things from his truck (and probably having a great laugh), kindly gave me a helping hand. (hanks! Needless to say, my wife laughed, too.

Also like to dive without light once my eyes have become somewhat accustomed to the dark.
Ask Herman about one of his no lite night dive experiences on Bonaire.

I dove like that once, it was a guided late afternoon dive to salt pier, but the boat was there, so we had to decide on an alternate site, then once when we were gearing up and waiting in the water, somebody forgot their regulator, so we waited in the water while they drove back for it. By the time they came back, it looks like dusk was coming upon us, but we were were all waiting by the buoy and our co-DM did not want to waste more time to go back to the truck to get his lights...the beginning of the dive was OK, but it got harder and harder to see, by the time we turned back, there was nothing much we can see anymore. Passed the group that forgot the regulator going the other way and their DM had a light...thought maybe I should jump into their group and get something out of the dive, but all that anxiety of diving blind made my SAC higher than usual and I don't know if I have enough air for that extra loop. By the time we reached the buoy, it was really dark already, not even sure how the DM found it. Then the long long swim to shore and the DM guided us exactly to the front of our trucks (must have been accurate to 1 or 2 degree. I don't know what he used to navigate there since there was no lights above water. Then later I saw the other group with their lights and I thought these DM must know these waters like the back of their hands, down to the pattern of the sand created by the current.

Back
Top Bottom