What's the Canon of Choice these days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would simplify things if Canon listed the reproduction ratios at a variety of focal lengths w/ the G-11 and S90 but they don't, at least not that I've seen. BTW, I shoot my G-10 in a Canon WP-DC28 housing and have a great close-up attachment setup that ReefNet puts out. I'm using their SubSee magnifier ReefNet Inc. | SubSee Magnifier and Adapter. The adapter screws down on the housing and uses a swing-away gate holding the magnifier (which is a +10 diopter lens). Keri Wilk is at DEMA even as I write this showing their new diopters that they are bringing out, a +5 and a +10w/ a 52mm glass diameter. I've ordered a dual gate to hold both diopter lenses and hope to use it soon on a S.Pacific trip. Meanwhile, this is what the 10+ SubSee magnifier does on my G-10. Hope this encourages you to have a bit more fun pondering! (I also hope that the OP does not mind the semi-hijacking...:eyebrow: ) // ww

Spotted anemone shrimp on Bonaire using G-10 w/ 10+ SubSee adapter (uncropped, not sharpened)

Warmwater: I really like the picture you have taken. I just bought a G11 and considering the Canon housing for it. What strobe do you use? Thank you.

re: the 570, I DO like the little camera. It takes really nice pictures! I will have to try the battery "fix" that has been suggested. So far, my wife has been using "energizers" and it seems that we turn the camera on...take about ten to twenty pictures and the battery light starts flashing.

I appreciate all of the help so far!

Yep, wow, you get that many?!!!!!! I get about 10.

You know, I am beginning to feel sanity slipping from my cold Nemrod fingers and feel that the solution is the anti-solution, I just go ahead and bust out 5,000 smackers on a digi slr. I don't mind having an obsolete system when it cost me a 1,000 dollars but when it cost me 5,000 dollars I think of all the animals and people I could feed just to take a few pictures. I will spend extra time in Purgatory for it for sure if I buy a 5,000 dollars rig. We will all burn a little for that.

N

I have been scanning the internet, looking for a new 570, reasonably priced, without success. Would appreciate it, if anyone has any leads.

Yep, wow, you get that many?!!!!!! I get about 10.

You know, I am beginning to feel sanity slipping from my cold Nemrod fingers and feel that the solution is the anti-solution, I just go ahead and bust out 5,000 smackers on a digi slr. I don't mind having an obsolete system when it cost me a 1,000 dollars but when it cost me 5,000 dollars I think of all the animals and people I could feed just to take a few pictures. I will spend extra time in Purgatory for it for sure if I buy a 5,000 dollars rig. We will all burn a little for that.

N

I've seen some rigs that were probably more expensive than my first car! Kidsdream has a nice one. I dove with him last year on the Eagle and he took some nice shots! (in fact...my avatar was shot by him) And the Italian gentleman I "almost" dove with on the Adolphus Busch (another story!) had a very nice rig...whether he knew how to use it was another story. (I guess it's good that he didn't float away to Cuba!)

Yeah...that's a lot of 'hard earned' to toss on a camera that will be surpassed exponentially next year at this time. I just figure that if I can get away with spending less than $500. a pop for "outboard" gear, the Mrs. will let me live! (Christmas money will help the initial burden though!)

Last edited:
I have been scanning the internet, looking for a new 570, reasonably priced, without success. Would appreciate it, if anyone has any leads.

The problem is they are out of production now for two years, however, the only recently discontinued Canon A590IS is 96% as gooder as the A570IS and I think Ikelite still makes a housing for it. The 570 is not quite a cult camera but it is somewhat sought after.

My wife suspended in liquid blue, courtesy of the Canon A570 and Inon:

IMG_0592.jpg

Not quite as spastic here, lol:

IMG_0886.jpg

She hates fisheye lenses.

N

RainyRide--I use a Sea & Sea YS110 Alpha. Works for me--decent output, good recycle time, easy on batteries. I run it on manual using a fiber optic connection, it's a good, consistent and controllable strobe. Thanks for your comment. // ww

Ok, my old A80 is flipping out on me, and I think it's time to update. I like Canon, and the way their functions are laid out so I'd like to stick with this brand.

What's a good Canon that has battery logevity? (My wife has an A570 and the batteries tend to die quickly)

Which model has the best features for U/W pictures (white balance button, big screen, RAW etc.)

WHich model has a decent, yet inexpensive housing (preferably Ikelite)

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks all!

I am not sure from this thread if you got a new camera but if you have the A80 and you are having problems with the screen and pictures, you might want to see if you are eligible for the canon recall:

Support - Digital Camera - PowerShot A80 - Service Notices - Canon USA Consumer Products

I have a PowerShot SD100 that is about 8 years old. I found a case for it for a few bucks and started to use it underwater. Next thing I know the screen starts going black, gets lines in it, the pics look purple, and then the screen goes all together. At some time in Mid to late August, I emailed Canon on a Saturday after a dive and camera no longer worked. Canon responded on Sunday. I answered their questions on Sunday and on Monday I received a UPS shipping label. I shipped the broken camera back to them on Tuesday and I got my Camera back with new insternal parts of the camera on Saturday. Fantastic service for a camera that I was going to trash and look for a better one. This recall has been around for years and they are still honoring this.

You might want to consider looking into the recall and have the camera as a back up if you are going to get a new one or if you want to do more research/save more cash to get the one you really want.

It certainly can't hurt to see if Canon will look at your camera under the recall. All I did was explain the situation to them and once they agreed that my camera was having problems, they asked for the serial number and sent me a shipping label. I have never had an easier time getting somethign fixed in my life, and I was not even expecting to get a repair.

Another 570is user here ( in the Canon housing with the CHDK hack), I love the thing, no strobes easy to use simplicity that takes great pictures.

Here's a couple I took in Fiji in the last couple of weeks ( home now :( )

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

I got a thing for nudis.:eyebrow:

This might need a new thread but can anyone give any kind of indication as to if they think the S90 would restrict the u/w macro photographer with its minimum focusing range? How often are you going to need to be closer than 5cm to your object?

Never shot underwater but I'm wanting to get into it and I do need a good topside pocketable camera, having been shooting topside with a DSLR for a little while and not wanting to give up the control of that, the S90 suits me perfectly for that function - but if the macro thing is a serious limitation u/w (definitely isn't an issue topside) then I might have to reconsider OR have separate rigs $$$$$

This might need a new thread but can anyone give any kind of indication as to if they think the S90 would restrict the u/w macro photographer with its minimum focusing range? How often are you going to need to be closer than 5cm to your object?

Never shot underwater but I'm wanting to get into it and I do need a good topside pocketable camera, having been shooting topside with a DSLR for a little while and not wanting to give up the control of that, the S90 suits me perfectly for that function - but if the macro thing is a serious limitation u/w (definitely isn't an issue topside) then I might have to reconsider OR have separate rigs $$$$$

Keep in mind that the min. focus distance will increase as you zoom the lens in, 5cm is at 28mm. So a closer min. focus distance is always better. However, 5cm is not too bad, and you can always get a wet diopter.

hope this helps

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom